The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 12:04 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Qualities of the pros

What qualities do you see as necessary to classify as a pro fly fisherman? Like what do you see in Lefty Kreh or someone else, that a novice fly fisherman doesnt have yet?
Old 10-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Qualities of the pros

Morph,

Although I can easily recognize the level of expertise many fly casters have achieved; personally I do not like to classify my hobby as having pros although I know they exist. I enjoy my fly casting and tying. I do not hold myself up for comparison to anyone, I think that will be the denizen of this craft. Classifying and certifying of everything. On your job, in your government, every aspect of your life contains some reminder that you are not a member of some elite group. This hobby and I call it a hobby not a sport, is something that has provided endless hours, days, months, and ultimately over two thirds of my life with an escape from everything that reeks of a class system or a competition.

I know everyone wishes to become a better fisherman and to gain a higher level so to say, but I would urge you to always look deep into your soul to see why you want to be a fly fisherman. Find the peace that awaits you at the river, see the birds and the wildflowers, and measure yourself only by the inner harmony that comes with this pastime. If that isn't working then golf , tennis, or some other competitive sport awaits.

Just my thoughts, the short version,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-31-2009, 02:10 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

The easiest answer I can think of as to what makes a fisherman a quality fisherman would be knowing what to throw, where to throw it and how deep it needs to be.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:50 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Being able to sell the products and expensive lodge visits that keep the industry rolling. These are the companys that write their checks. They are nothing more than marketing tools. Good fisherman...but marketing professionals first.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:20 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post, Ard ! The guys at one of the nearby fly shops are a little
too type A in their entire approach for my tastes. If it works for them, so
be it. They pretty much insist newcomers and people looking to "move up"
take their path, however, and that's unfortunate. I can sometimes spot an
angler that has "learned" from these guys after speaking with them for a few
minutes.

The folks at the Sporting Gentlemen in Media, PA are entirely different. They
respect everyone's approach, and offer advice suited to whatever direction
you'd like to take on this path.

Here's my outlook on flyfishing: If I were the last person on Earth, I'd still
fish the way I do now. I don't need anyone to pat me on the back, count
fish caught, size, etc. I'd still shave as well .
Old 10-31-2009, 09:32 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I think Cool Hand nailed it. Marketing is #1 with many of the "pros". Having not met any fly fishing pros I can't pass judgement. The hunting pros are quite a bunch. I have met some of them. They range from down to earth people ready to talk, to self-promoting, egotistical, what'cha got for me types. It pretty much comes down to selling product.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:15 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

Excellent post Hardy! I enjoy being on the water whether I am catching anything or not (preferably catching). I have yet to find anything else that puts me at more ease and more relaxed than spending a day in the creek.
Tuck
Old 11-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

What makes an above average fly fisher like Lefty and the handful in that class is experience and an inquisitive mind. Someone who is fishing hours and hours a year for most of there life and experiment looking for better ways and better techniques makes them into a Lefty. You may be a fly fisher that fishes every waking hour but you don't experiment and test different methods, try many techniques and learn everything you can, you are just someone who fishes a lot.

Frank
Old 11-01-2009, 09:48 AM

Bamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the roughBamboo10 is a jewel in the rough

Very well said Ard, my feelings exactly. I do this for relaxation and fun, not to try to impress anyone with my skills and ability.
GJ
Old 11-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo10 View Post
not to try to impress anyone with my skills and ability.
GJ
Knowing you as I do... that's a GOOD thing!