The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 12:48 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about
Default I need a courteous line

Twice today I had some ... fellow fishermen setup camp way too close to me on the river. First, these two guys decide to cast literally 20 yards downstream from me. Now, I realize down is better than up, but still, I didn't ask for friends. An hour later, this guy parks his car off the river, walks the obligatory 20-30 yards to the river bank and starts casting 40-50 yards upstream from me.

Do you guys have an effective yet courteous line that would keep these people from doing this again??
Old 11-01-2009, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: I need a courteous line

Colotrout,

I have tried them all sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. There is no easy solution to the problem of being crowded. Walking a little farther than most are willing before setting up camp is an option.

You're new here, welcome to the forum. I hope you can find places where you will find some solitude. Where do you live and fish? If you are in CO. I have a few places in mind.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2009, 01:04 AM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Hi Hardy,
Thanks for the welcome.

I live in Fort Collins, CO and I fish the Big Thompson, the Roaring River in the Rocky Mountain National Park and the Poudre River. You are absolutely right! My favorite place to fish is the Roaring. It's amazing how a 45 min hike will discourage most people!

Are you familiar with the region?
Old 11-01-2009, 02:07 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I lived in CO. Springs and wandered all over the state. I'll PM you tomorrow it's getting late.

Ard

Old 11-01-2009, 05:03 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the Group... You might try this when they walk in on you like you described; "I hope I'm not crowding you, most of the time I try to give a fellow angler at least a hundred yards". Say it and give them a big grin; they may think you're crazy and want to get as far from you as possible if you're lucky...

I was on Elk Creek in PA on Saturday and had something like that happen. A lady and her husband were fishing spinning rods and fishing minnows for Steelies. I had walked past them and went downstream to the next pool down and started fishing a fishy looking run...Her husband and her crossed the stream and started fishing pretty much directly across from me, I didn't say anything and moved down to the next pool, and slowly worked my way down stream going around other fishermen and fishing productive looking water that was open. I got to a beautiful run just above the tubes at Rte 5 and was working the current seam where the fish should be holding, couldn't sight fish due to rising leaf filled water. My buddy was fishing the head of the run and I was fishing just above the tail of the pool; we were'nt more then 30 yards apart. I was concentrating on my fishing when I heard gravel crunching and assumed it was my buddy Jim, it wasn't it was my Lady friend and her husband.

He watched as she began fishing about 10 yards above me; flipping her minnow and bobber across and letting it swing down through the far side of the pool. I had been thinking of giving up but with that I decided to stay there until she left. She would cast let it swing down then reel back in and her line and bobber would nearly drag across my waders, missing me by no more then 2 to 3 inches. I held my tongue, because my Mom taught me not to talk to women the way I would have if it was a man.

On Friday fishing another section of the stream we met two young ladies as we put our gear on as they were heading to the river. We exchanged pleasantries and when we got on the stream we headed upstream giving them plenty of fishing room. I was fishing a small pool most people walk by and had just landed a fish. As I was finished releasing the fish they got nearer and congratulated me. I asked if they had had any luck yet and they said they had a couple on but hadn't landed any yet; the younger lady said she had never caught a steelie yet. They were looking at some fast water chutes behind me, and I told her don't fish there, come fish this hole. She said I don't want to chase you out of your spot and I assured her that she wasn't. I gave her a couple of tips and chatted with her sister as she fished, then went on my way upstream.

We ran into them later in the day as we were working our way back downstream, and asked her if she had her first steelie yet, she beamed as she said Yes, and thanked me for letting her have my spot. I had her fish the hole we were fishing and put her in a very good position, and she again told me she didn't want to push me out. I told her not to worry, just get another steelie, which she did. It was a great pleasure watching her fight him, and I had the great pleasure of netting it for her; older sis was afraid she would lose it. The look on both their faces when Jacky landed that fish was priceless...

Two very contrasting experiences, one very good; and the other; what can I say.

Sorry for the long winded post...

Dan
Old 11-01-2009, 05:54 PM

Dan,
I think I can safely assume you are a better man than I!

As for you Ard, I love your suggestion of a careful wading ispection of the bottom of the river!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
Welcome to the Group... You might try this when they walk in on you like you described; "I hope I'm not crowding you, most of the time I try to give a fellow angler at least a hundred yards". Say it and give them a big grin; they may think you're crazy and want to get as far from you as possible if you're lucky...

I was on Elk Creek in PA on Saturday and had something like that happen. A lady and her husband were fishing spinning rods and fishing minnows for Steelies. I had walked past them and went downstream to the next pool down and started fishing a fishy looking run...Her husband and her crossed the stream and started fishing pretty much directly across from me, I didn't say anything and moved down to the next pool, and slowly worked my way down stream going around other fishermen and fishing productive looking water that was open. I got to a beautiful run just above the tubes at Rte 5 and was working the current seam where the fish should be holding, couldn't sight fish due to rising leaf filled water. My buddy was fishing the head of the run and I was fishing just above the tail of the pool; we were'nt more then 30 yards apart. I was concentrating on my fishing when I heard gravel crunching and assumed it was my buddy Jim, it wasn't it was my Lady friend and her husband.

He watched as she began fishing about 10 yards above me; flipping her minnow and bobber across and letting it swing down through the far side of the pool. I had been thinking of giving up but with that I decided to stay there until she left. She would cast let it swing down then reel back in and her line and bobber would nearly drag across my waders, missing me by no more then 2 to 3 inches. I held my tongue, because my Mom taught me not to talk to women the way I would have if it was a man.

On Friday fishing another section of the stream we met two young ladies as we put our gear on as they were heading to the river. We exchanged pleasantries and when we got on the stream we headed upstream giving them plenty of fishing room. I was fishing a small pool most people walk by and had just landed a fish. As I was finished releasing the fish they got nearer and congratulated me. I asked if they had had any luck yet and they said they had a couple on but hadn't landed any yet; the younger lady said she had never caught a steelie yet. They were looking at some fast water chutes behind me, and I told her don't fish there, come fish this hole. She said I don't want to chase you out of your spot and I assured her that she wasn't. I gave her a couple of tips and chatted with her sister as she fished, then went on my way upstream.

We ran into them later in the day as we were working our way back downstream, and asked her if she had her first steelie yet, she beamed as she said Yes, and thanked me for letting her have my spot. I had her fish the hole we were fishing and put her in a very good position, and she again told me she didn't want to push me out. I told her not to worry, just get another steelie, which she did. It was a great pleasure watching her fight him, and I had the great pleasure of netting it for her; older sis was afraid she would lose it. The look on both their faces when Jacky landed that fish was priceless...

Two very contrasting experiences, one very good; and the other; what can I say.

Sorry for the long winded post...

Dan
Old 11-01-2009, 07:52 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Most of the time, I just move. It's not worth taking chances.
NOT ALL THE TIME though ... sometimes my casting just gets way out of whack! Imagine that ... no control of the cast! I apologize and mention I'm not a good caster, hope I'm not getting too close! They usually leave.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Administrator

Colotrout,

I thought you may like that. I have became quite imaginitive with the years. I probably only have one or two good fights left in me and I don't intend to wast any on something as trivial as common rudeness.

Peace out,

Ard

Old 11-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Colotrout,
I lived in Fort Collins for a few years. I graduated from Poudre High School. Most of my younger life I lived in the mountains, Dillon, Woodland Park, places like that. When I lived there, we only got the occasional rude tourist. My cousin who still lives there tells me it has become a lot worse. The best line I ever heard was from a lady I fish with once in a while. She said, "Hey buddie! What are you doing, coming for coffee?" He got the idea and moved.

Last time I went to Colorado, I didn't recognize the place. There used to be 15 minutes of corn fields between Loveland and Fort Collins. They might as well be one city now. A relative by marriage owns Bob's fly shop in Loveland.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:31 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

My home water is a very good small mouth bass fishery...and its fairly close nit. You get used to seeing the same people fishing and everyone is very friendly and helpful...that is until the hex hatch happens! You get a lot of anglers that dont normally fish the area and manners seem to go out the window. Not dont get me wrong, im all for expanding the sport as thats the only way it can survive, but etiquette needs to be a larger concern for some folks. Every night of the hatch, i would pick my pool an hour or so before sundown and wait for the big flys. About the time they started coming up, so did the newbies! I got pushed out most every night by guys walking in front of me, behind me, getting withing 10 feet of me...and these are all fly fisherman and nobody else fishes the river!