The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 12:52 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ever Have Problems with DUCKs????

I was fishing the local lake a few days ago. A hatch of midges began around
4pm, so I tied on a #20 Adams. The lake is home to a number of ducks, and
several types. When I made my first cast, 3 ducks swam right over to the Adams. They started from about 60 feet away, so they have better eyes than
me . Anyway, the biggest duck went right for the Adams, and was able to
get it in his mouth/bill before I could yank it away. There was a bit of tension
on the line for a few seconds, and people watching. Fortunately, he spit
the hook! I should have mentioned that a trout had been rising in that spot,
but stopped rising after the duck incident.

I switched to a tandem nymph rig about 15 minutes later, and used a yellow
foam indicator. The same ducks came over from an even greater distance,
and took turns nibbling on the indicator!

So the question is, have you ever hooked a duck ?
Old 11-01-2009, 01:08 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ever Have Problems with DUCKs????

Never hooked one. Never had one take a fly. But I have had them force me to alter my fishing.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 11-01-2009, 01:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Never hooked one.

But at one popular mountain lake, the ducks will fly or swim to one's watercraft (pontoon boat, float tube, pram) when they see a person eating. They have gotten used to people throwing out some snacks at them.

MP
Old 11-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hooked a mallard once...caught him by a leg as I wanted to prevent it from taking my flyThe real problem is when they swim up a river or a stream as you wade.....they're a"sentry" for trout
Old 11-01-2009, 04:26 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

This summer I was fishing the Upper Manistee, and had a tremendous Hex hatch starting up quite a bit earlier then usual. Fish started feeding along a grass bank that has some nice undercuts and some very nice browns. A decent fish began feeding on any Hex that drifted with in inches of his feeding station. As the number of insects began to increase along that line and the fish began feeding on a more regular basis; a hen mallard and her brood started moving over into the area with the most insects. When I cast to my feeder, the ducklings would make a mad rush toward the fly and I would have to flip it out of the area to keep them from grabbing it. They stayed right in the area where my target was because of the number of bugs and eventually put the fish down with all their activity.

Dan
Old 11-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I was fishing with a lady friend of mine in a small lake when she hooked one. She got it close and was attacked by a couple it's pals while she tried to unhook it. I told her it served her right for letting the duck take it. It was kinda funny. To me anyway. I've seen Red Head Mergansers take bait off the bottom and get hooked while people are Pike fishing in the spring. That does way more damage to the ducks. It has been fatal to more than one. It pays to keep an eye on what the ducks are up to.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:46 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

live ducks make excellent dry flies...

HUGE, but very buoyant and life-like.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 11-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
live ducks make excellent dry flies...

HUGE, but very buoyant and life-like.