The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Instructions needed...Converting a 1492 medalist to LH retrieve

I know that your not supposed to be able to do this, but ive known people to do it in the past. I cant for the life of me figure out how! I need some help!!!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Instructions needed...Converting a 1492 medalist to LH retrieve

Cool hand,

I have one and have pondered this myself. As nearly as I can remember (the reel is in Colorado) you should be able to carefully drill the frame rims and tap them. After that little adventure you can switch the line guard so that it is appropriate for left hand wind. As far as drag tinkering, help me out here, are they just a spring and pawl or does it have the little brake shoe type? I havent used mine for years.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-01-2009, 10:24 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

The 1492 is just the spring and pawl...no brake. Out of the box its easy in, hard out...we need to reverse that. I know i have seen it done and its fairly simple...just cant figure it out
Old 11-01-2009, 11:14 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

All you need to do is flip the pawls. I mentioned it in your earlier post.

To be more descriptive, here we go. You should notice one pawl pointed up or down and the other pawl pointed to the center of the reel. For the pawl that is pointed up or down, flip it to make it point to the center. For the pawl that is facing toward the center, point that up or down.

I do not have a 1492 in front of me. I am doing this by memory. If you have the reel frame facing you, the pawl on the left should be pointing to the center. The pawl on the right should be pointing up or down. This should be the setting for left hand retrieve.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 11-01-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 AM

no matter wich way the pawls are pointed its still set for right hand use. ie its harder to reel in than pull out.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:47 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.....the spring needs to be reconfigured and a pin filed down
here's how

http://www.amago.jp.lv/b-streams/equ...medalist2.html

http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com...55#reply-54355
Old 11-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Awesome guys thanks! Works perfect now.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:41 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

why ruin a older one, just buy a lefty off of e-bay...I love the older ones and can't see modifing it unless its the foot to fit the new seats.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-03-2009, 08:19 AM

Its not older...i just purchased it at cabelas for $25
Old 11-03-2009, 08:52 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
why ruin a older one, just buy a lefty off of e-bay...
The smaller models (1492 & 1492 1/2) don't come in 'lefty' and the click/pawl drag is not easily convertible like the larger models with the brake shoe drag

Quote:
Medalist 1400 reels give the same incredible performance at a fraction of the cost of high-end models. The precision-engineered aluminum alloy frame and quick-release spool features a rich, non-reflective black finish. The externally mounted adjustable drag (models 1492 and 1492-1/2 excluded) lets you quickly match your fish-fighting needs. Converts to left- or right-hand retrieve (except 1492 and 1492-1/2).