The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gregorykicks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2006, 07:45 PM

Lysoll is on a distinguished road
Default Trying to get started...

I am looking to get started fly fishing, and I was wondering what would be a good starter package?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...at=catrtflyfsh

This is what I came accross. But does anybody know if it is decent quality, or maybe to kiddish for a 23 year old? I like the idea of getting a package deal. Or maybe some body can point me in the right direction. I am looking at fishing for sunfish, bass, or anything else that I can get to bite on a fly.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Trying to get started...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...mbos&noImage=0

One of these combos would probably suit my needs a little better.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the Prestige that Lysoll posted if I had to choose between the two.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:54 PM

gregorykicks is on a distinguished road

If you know that fly-fishing is something that you're going to be into for a long time then go ahead and invest in a setup. I took a class in college and loved it and hated having to give up my rod that the school gave us to use (mine was a sage) I continued fishing every now and then with my friends borring their rods. One of them had a sage and I loved it, so even though I could have gotten into my own outfit much faster if I went cheaper, I saved and bought a $200 5wt 4piece Sage Launch and a $60 flycast 2 reel. I know if I take care of them they'll last me many many years. I already had a vest ($12 at bass pro) and waders and boots ($50 at academy sports) and I bought a few flies since I had been mostly bumming them off my friends. I honestly couldn't be a happier person with my purchase. It's everything I dreamed it would be and more. If you're just looking into getting into fly fishing then those packages look good. I'd suggest the four piece just because of ease of travel. My school rod was a 2 piece and it was so long. You'll be able to catch fish with that outfit, you may need to check your local fly shop (or not so local like me i have to go 90miles to my fly shop) for some flies that work well in the area and have them tell you the best way to fish it. I really don't have a lot of skill, but I seem to catch fish pretty well just by being persistent and trying flies at different speeds till I find what they want.
Best of luck with your purchase My friends all envy me when we go stream fishing and they get skunked with their spin cast and i'm bringing them in every 5 min, maybe your's will be too.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with gregorykicks. My first set-up was a pflueger and medalist, then a Sage DS and reel. The first set-up around $75. and heavy, second around $250. and still have it and use it. Warranty is a key item!
Old 06-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Fly Fishing is like all things. The more you invest in it the more you will get out of it. Any of the choices that you are looking at would be a great starter for a Fly Rod combo. When you start out learn to cast its not the rod that counts it is more of learning the proper casting techniques that will make you a successful caster and in turn a successful fly fisher.

Here is a link to a post that I want to note the Poster Curtis(pipe in Curtis if you wish) in what he said about his Cabela's combo kit:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ght=cabela%27s

Learn the proper techniques to fly casting then see where you want to invest your money in next. It is a learning process and may take time and effort for some but if you stick to it, you will be rewarded knowing the accomplishments that you made.

Good Luck,
Terry
Old 06-04-2006, 10:37 PM

Thanks for all the great info, next weekend I will check out some local shops and see what else I can find.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:34 PM

FowlHabit is on a distinguished road

I would first figure out your budget. I agree with gregorykicks, patience is a virtue. I am much happier that I took the extra time and saved up some money for a lower mid range outfit than a low range outfit I could have purchased right away.If you have a local pro shop that specializes in fly fishing go there and don't leave until you've tried everything within your budget you can find and don't hesitate to ask the ten thousand questions about fly fishing. This may take an hour or two, so make sure you're there with plenty of time. Hopefully your local shop will have a patient, helpful and knowledgeable fly fisherman/salesman to direct you into the proper direction. Also while you are there see if they offer any lessons on casting before you develope bad habits from the begining. They may also offer classes on fly fishing and/or fly tying to help you out if you want help there as well. Don't leave until the police have to drag you out , OK, maybe not that far but make sure you get what you think feels good and you like.