The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 07:55 PM

kimba007 will become famous soon enough
Default Gunna get some new rubbers

Only a fly fisher would know what i meant by that title. Anyways, im gunna get a pair of adult mens chest waders. What might be nice is the kind where the chest can be removed, anyways, i need help decidin what to get.

Rubber, neoprene?

Brand??

whats been good for everybody?

Thanks a ton.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gunna get some new rubbers

I would scratch neopreme waders off the list and look at a pair of breathable waders, unless you plan to fish most of the time in very cold wx. I have a pair of 5mm neopremes that work great fishing in Alaska, but here in Wyoming they are way to warm except for very early in the spring and on cold days in late fall. There are a lot of nice products on the market, Simms is probably at the top of the heap. You will need to decide whether you want boot foot waders or stocking foot waders. Personally, I like the stocking foot but they take a little longer to get into. I bought a pair of Orvis Tailwater XT waders earlier this year and have been really happy with them. What I like about them is the chest portion is really thin flexible material and can be folded down below the waist so most of the time I wear them as waist high waders. Orvis has them on sale for $249 and the boot foot for $199. In the summer they were also throwing in a set of felt soled wading boots, but I didn't see that on the web site.
http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=89R7

Larry
Old 11-02-2009, 10:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba007 View Post
Only a fly fisher would know what i meant by that title. Anyways, im gunna get a pair of adult mens chest waders. What might be nice is the kind where the chest can be removed, anyways, i need help decidin what to get.
It sounds like you are looking for convertible waders. Check this one out.

Quote:
Rubber, neoprene?
Neither. You should be looking for a polyester fabric that is laminated with a waterproof and breathable membrane (think Gore-Tex or similar membranes)

Quote:
Brand??
Simms, Patagonia, Cloudveil

Quote:
whats been good for everybody?
My previous set of Patagonia waders served me eight years. They still work, but I wanted something new. My current ones are going on three years.

Quote:
Thanks a ton.
You are very welcome.

MP
Old 11-03-2009, 08:00 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

If you go with stocking foots, I would look at a pair of wading boots with the vibram sole.

Dan
Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Simms are the best sand made in here in the U.S. That being said, Cabelas Prestige breathables have worked great for me and they were just over $100. I have abused them pretty good and still no leaks. I think they are imported however.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Simms are best. I've failed to wear mine out in 8 years of trying.

For a cheaper option, LL Bean's $100 waders are widely held to be the best value out there.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
If you go with stocking foots, I would look at a pair of wading boots with the vibram sole.

Dan
Cloudveil is using a Vibram sole, too. It's called the Idrogrip. It is not as grippy as the StreamTread Vibram sole that Simms is using. If you want Vibram, err towards the StreamTread soles that are exclusive to Simms.

MP
Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I've been wearing my Cabela's GII's for 6+ years. I duck hunt in them,too. I have had to Aquaseal the inseams where they rub against each other, it wore thru. But, I don't baby them and they're under a buck and a half!
Old 11-04-2009, 03:15 PM

natermotor is on a distinguished road

I'm getting a pair of breathable waiders for Christmas! Lol I WILL be layering though.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:46 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Waders are my xmass present to myself this year.