The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 PM

kimba007 will become famous soon enough
Default Whats the best weather for fishing in?

Whats the best weather to fish in. For example i have heard that the midday is the best because the water is the warmest from the sun. But.....

I have always thought that a light rainfall was the best because it brings bugs to the water.

Does anybody know what is actually better? Thanks alot.

Also, i just wanna say this forum is sweet, i even met my friend on it.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:42 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Whats the best weather for fishing in?

The kind that is happening when you have an opportunity to feeesh!
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 11-02-2009, 09:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

For Wyoming fishing (at least for me) its when the wind is blowing less than 20 mph!!!!

Larry
Old 11-02-2009, 10:35 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Like McNerney, as long as the wind isn't blowing, I'm a happy fisherman.

In regards to weather, fish can be caught during the middle of the day. Fish can be caught during light rains. To some hardcore Steelheaders, it isn't a Steelhead day unless it's gray and raining.

The best fishing weather shows up when the fish are actively feeding. The type of weather that spurs on hatches is the one I like. For example, if it's cloudy, cool, maybe with some precipitation, look for Blue Wing Olives to come off. If it's a warm evening evening in the middle of summer, I look so forward to caddis coming off.

Personally, I love the fall. The weather can be gorgeous like today (sunny, mid-70s, no precipitation) or be downright ugly. Regardless, any of these days are fishable (although I still hate wind with a passion!).

MP
Old 11-02-2009, 10:56 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I personally like to fish on overcast days even though we get so few of those here. Fall is always nice too for the cooler weather.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Whats the best weather for fishing in?

My father always told me that the best time to go fishing is 'when you can'
Old 11-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
My father always told me that the best time to go fishing is 'when you can'
And I'll add in "that you have the gear for." Staying out in a cold rain without sufficient protective clothing is never wise. Wind over 25mph can get pretty frustrating too.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Back in the Mid Atlantic I always liked rainy days. Now some years I get way too many of them. For resident rainbow trout I have caught the most and largest on brilliant sunny days. For their anadromous brethren (steelhead) I have no choice but to fish cold snowy, rainy, windy, weather and I am glad for any that I can catch.

Here it is not so much the weather as the time of year. The fish, all the fish, are constantly on the move either spawning or pursuing their food source as it moves in the river channels or lakes. Weather wise you take what you get.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what's the best...but a pouring rain is the worst
Old 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
I don't know what's the best...but a pouring rain is the worst
I think a stiff wind is the worst

Click the image to open in full size.