The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Insect tips for newbie?

Does anyone have a link to a site or somthing that has insect names, pictures, and descriptions? I have no idea what some of these bugs i keep hearing people talk about are?
Old 06-01-2006, 01:25 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Insect tips for newbie?

try this one for starters.
http://www.westfly.com/ento/ento.htm
Old 06-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Oh, where should I start??? I have a bunch of links that I have saved in my Favorites that are all about Entomology. Here is a link to a search result on entomology on this site:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...searchid=12746

We have a guy who is a good resource who is a member of this forum who goes by the handle of Taxon. He is very knowledgable on the subject. Maybe he can pipe in and give you his suggestions.

Here are the sites I would start with if I were you. Attached is a zip file that contains the folder that contains all my links to Entomology web sites. Simple unzip the file into you Favorites folder on your harddrive then open up you browsers Favorites to view them. If this doesn't work please let me know and I will post them as proper links in the post.

Another really good place is the Fly Tying Forum web site. They have a forum group that is specific to aquatic entomology. Heres the link:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/

If you have questions or need anything else please let me know. Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Terry
Attached Files
File Type: zip FF Entomology.zip (3.6 KB, 8 views)
Old 06-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmo Nella
try this one for starters.http://www.westfly.com/ento/ento.htm
Salmo Nella suggestion is one of the better ones. It has the bugs descriptions as well as the flies used to imitate the bugs. It is also in my zip file that I attached to the previous post.

Also wanted to mention that you can learn a lot from several good books & magazines that are out there as well. American Angler and Flyfishing & Tying Journal are two of the better magazines that have specific articles about Entomology. Some of my favorite books are:

Caddisflies by Gary LaFountaine
Aquatic Entomology: The Fishermens Guide and Ecologists Illustrated Guide to Insects and Their Relatives by W. Patrick McCafferty
Hatches II by Al Caucci & Bob Nastasi
An Angler’s Guide to Aquatic Insects And Their Imitations by Rick Hafele and Scott Roederer

Hopefully this should be a good start for you.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 06-01-2006, 05:36 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

you guys are awsome
thanks
Old 06-01-2006, 08:49 PM

Taxon will become famous soon enoughTaxon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge
Does anyone have a link to a site or somthing that has insect names, pictures, and descriptions? I have no idea what some of these bugs i keep hearing people talk about are?
Cool-If you will study the information this page links to, you will become more knowledgable about aquatic insects than is the average flyfisher.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:49 PM

Taxon will become famous soon enoughTaxon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge
Cool-

If you will study the information this page links to, you will become more knowledgable about aquatic insects than is the average flyfisher.

Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com