The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 07:42 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default finally..... some fish on my cane 6wt

Not anything big, but variety!

Went to the local lake this afternoon/evening and decided to try the new (to me) rod. Cold and windy and the area I picked limited it to a roll cast, but I did have a picnic table at the bank, so I could take a break and brew some fresh coffee.

1 bluegill, 2 crappie, and 2 rainbows (stocked yesterday).
The new (old refinished) rod really has a different feel than my graphite rods. I was concerned a 6wt would be a bit heavy for panfish, but the largest rainbow (pictured) and the largest crappie (about 10-11") put up a good fight and made it feel like the outcome wasn't guaranteed.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: finally..... some fish on my cane 6wt

Glad to see you are enjoying the rod Mike.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-19-2011, 07:46 PM

eddie789 has a spectacular aura abouteddie789 has a spectacular aura abouteddie789 has a spectacular aura about

Cool. Glad to hear you got out!
Old 03-19-2011, 09:45 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you enjoying that old cane rod, congrats on the great looking fish!

Larry

Old 03-19-2011, 10:24 PM

drakewoodie will become famous soon enough

What did u catch the crappie on if u don't mind me askIng I would really pike to get into some crappie on my fly rod but been thinking its too cold
Old 03-19-2011, 11:32 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice work my friend, good to see some early season action.

casey

ARFE
Old 03-20-2011, 12:17 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: finally..... some fish on my cane 6wt

TOO COOL!

You Go Guy.

Fred
Old 03-20-2011, 07:49 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

Quote:
What did u catch the crappie on if u don't mind me askIng I would really pike to get into some crappie on my fly rod but been thinking its too cold
This time of year I fish small nymphs and wet flies almost exclusively. Often under a strike indicator (as I fished yesterday) and with very little motion. Yesterday the wind kept everything moving slowly. A pheasant tail nymph tied with copper wire is my go-to pattern, but a flame red maribou pattern with bead chain eyes has worked well on crappies this spring. (I don't have a pic or one handy to take a pic right now, but it's just a set of bead chain eyes and a maribou tail & body)
I also tie a lot of nymphs using turkey tail instead of pheasant.

I'm not above using a waxworm on a bare hook. Easy to "tie" and it gives off scent.
Yesterday the waxworm was my choice because the lake was very stained from recent rains. I also figured it was a good "traditional" choice to go with the cane rod. I've read where a lot of the "old timers" frequently used a "garden hackle" pattern.

These stocked trout are my exception to the catch & release fishing I usually practice. This lake will not support a trout population because the water is shallow and gets very warm in summer. The DNR simply stocks them to promote fishing. The ones I catch now are destined to go in my smoker very soon. I almost feel guilty for taking them, but a good dinner of pan-fried or smoked trout and the guilt subsides.

pic of my "turkey tail" nymph pattern (when the water clears it's very effective)

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:14 AM

cimarron has a spectacular aura aboutcimarron has a spectacular aura about

Glad to see your enjoying the new Bamboo from Edwin. I haven't had a chance to Baptise mine yet, just casting in the yard so far. I change between dt5 and dt6 with both about the same, slow. Planning on going up to Lake Pawhuska Wed if weather cooperates. Spring in OK means a lot of wind. Planning on trip to Lower Mountain Fork in a couple weeks for those stocked trout. Those flies look pretty effective. Luck, Glen
Old 03-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimarron View Post
Glad to see your enjoying the new Bamboo from Edwin. I haven't had a chance to Baptise mine yet, just casting in the yard so far. I change between dt5 and dt6 with both about the same, slow. Planning on going up to Lake Pawhuska Wed if weather cooperates. Spring in OK means a lot of wind. Planning on trip to Lower Mountain Fork in a couple weeks for those stocked trout. Those flies look pretty effective. Luck, Glen
It's a new experience for me. The rod seems limp, but it handles the fish just fine. Yesterday evening was one of those times I was able to slow down and relax, and the cane rod fit the mood (slow, perhaps even lazy ) perfectly.
I've tried wf5f, wf6f, and dt6f lines, and this rod seems to like the wf6f best. All the lines cast fairly well on it, but the wf6f seemed to get me the most distance/control with the least effort and attention to detail as far as my casting stroke. It actually roll casts fairly well, too.

Have the trout in the smoker now, so after a late lunch of smoked trout I may get inspired enough to try it again this evening.