The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about
Default Pflueger Medalist 1492 1/2 for 8 weight rod?

OPPS! I ment to say a 1494 1/2! 1492 would just be crazy!

Any reason not to use this reel on an 8 weight rod? Ive got a line plus 100 yards of backing on the reel and it all fits. Actually i over lined it and put a 9 weight line on the reel. Drag seems strong...whats your thoughts?

Last edited by Cool Hand Hodge; 11-04-2009 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:38 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pflueger Medalist 1492 1/2 for 8 weight rod?

I have my 8wts lines all on 1495 1/2 reels
I'd think that the 1492 1/2 would be way too small
Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

I ment to say 1494 1/2...sorry
Old 11-03-2009, 08:44 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Going old school with reels is fine for lighter weight fly fishing rigs. When you start to use them on larger rigs, you are asking for lots of trouble.

The drag that you think is powerful really isn't. It isn't strong enough to handle an adult Steelhead that is going to swim into the next zip code. It doesn't have the stopping power to keep a big boy bass from diving into the weeds. On a scale from one to ten, I would rate the 1494 1/2 highest drag setting a three compared to the drag system of a good modern reel.

By today's standards the spool diameter of the 1494 1/2 (2 11/16 inches) is rather small for an eight weight reel. The average spool diameter for a modern eight weight reel is 3 3/4". With an eight weight, there is a good chance the fish will be fought off of the reel. Wouldn't it be faster to retrieve line with a reel that has a larger diameter?

I would rethink your reel strategy. There are lots of modern reels on the market that will perform better than a Medalist.

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 11-04-2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I fished 18 years in salt water with Medalist reels before breaking down and buying my first disc drag and I wasn't alone.
They may not be ideal but if that's the way you want to go, know that it's doable.
Baseball great Ted Williams fished Medalists for Atlantic Salmon, Lefty Kreh suggested them in his book Fly Fishing in Salt Water, and Lee Wulff used a click drag reel to land the first fly rod marlin.

I use my 1495 1/2s now mostly for bass and that requires only a 'line holder' reel. However just last year I bought a Medalist 1498, the largest size. I have an WF11F on it and use it in the surf.
Why? .... mostly because I love my Medalists. I've been using them for over 40 years.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:01 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

go to http://www.onepfoot.com/ they can help with upgrading.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-04-2009, 09:12 PM

Lol...i never had any worries about the drag or the reel its self...just the spool capacity! In fact, it was the bullet proof reputation and Leftys recomentdations that let me to the medalist in the first place. It will be used on steelies. I switched to the medalist due to a couple of malfunctions from a couple of Cabelas SLA reels i had this summer. Fished smallies and large mouth most of the summer with the medalist and they worked fantastic...in fact i couldnt find anything that worked better! As far as not being able to dial the drag in tight enough...mine get pretty firm...and if i need anymore i can finger the spool...right?

Btw...thanks for all the help
Old 11-07-2009, 10:37 PM

muskyman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge View Post
OPPS! I ment to say a 1494 1/2! 1492 would just be crazy!

Any reason not to use this reel on an 8 weight rod? Ive got a line plus 100 yards of backing on the reel and it all fits. Actually i over lined it and put a 9 weight line on the reel. Drag seems strong...whats your thoughts?
because it lacks the rim control I would say no the drag isnt up to what you will want t chase with a 8 weight.