The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default does my lenghth really matter?

i bought a 7' 9" 4 weight vt2 for fishing spring creeks in wisconsin. i had the chance for a 9' but chose the shorter rod. i think i made the right choice but i am new to the spring creek fishing style. anyone?

casey

ARFE
Old 03-19-2011, 11:04 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: does my lenghth really matter?

Should be optimal, my personal favorite on small freestones is a 7.5 4wt. milt.

Last edited by milt spawn; 03-20-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: syntax?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

May well depend on 'whose answering the question.'

The 'tounge in cheek' aside, it's interesting to read the 'small stream threads' on the 'Mother Board' over in the UK. Gather that rods as short as 6 foot may be close to 'over-kill.'

fae
Old 03-20-2011, 09:47 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I bought a 6' 2 wt rod for small creeks & brookies. I ended up using my 8' 4 wt more. A lot of the fishing where I was involved dabbling more than casting and the 8' rod worked better. I think a 7 to 7' 6" rod would be perfect. I got a 7' 3" 2 wt and like it quite a bit. The 6'er is gone.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:00 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I have a 5'8" 4 weight that I use really on just a couple small creeks. Could I get away with something a bit longer, maybe, but I bought it because I was struggling with my 7'6" 3 weight on this creek, the overgrowth in places is just too close.

I'm actually pretty surprised at the distance I can get with the rod when I hit longer pools. 20' - 25' is about the limit, but it get's there.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:56 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Great choice- Having fished the waters of Spring and Timber Coulee and the West Fork of the Kickapoo with my trusty Sage 7'11 4wt LightLine I can say from personal experience you chose wisely.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:11 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

When first searching for a short backcountry/small stream rod I remember thinking that I wanted something no longer than 6' maybe 6'6". After handling a few that short and doing some pretty serious thinking, I realized that something slightly longer would suit me a little bit better both for my casting as well as the streams. 7'6" just fit me and my situation a little better. I now have a 7'6" glass rod as my small stream rod. It seems to handle whatever I throw at it whether it be very tight cover or the large pools that I sometimes encounter.
To me your length should match your wallet and your situation. Weve all come upon spots where we think, "Man, that 5'6" 2 wt would be perfect right here!" and then get 100 yds upriver to find that your 9' 5wt is what you need. We cant carry every rod we own along the river like a set of golf clubs. (although that would be awesome to have a fly fishing caddy!) A balance has to be found between fundage, application, and practicality.
I know opinions are like....well.....you know what. So theres mine.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 03-22-2011, 06:43 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

A longer rod is better in every way...except maneuvering around in tight areas. If your in a tight area than the short rod is better. I fish in a lot of tight tunnel rivers in Michigans UP and i use a 7 foot or a 6'6 rod.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:54 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

I'm wondering the same thing...I have a 7'11" 4 wt, and I am hoping someone can weigh in on the capabilities of a 7' 4 wt. I don't want a 3 wt, too many reels and lines etc. I'd go for a 7ft 4 wt if it would help me out on the small streams; I'm just wondering how it will handle delicate dry situations and the light streamers I might try to push out of it.

ANY OPINIONS ON 7' 4WT????