The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 01:05 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default A Passion for Steelhead

I live in Texas. It is thousand of miles to the nearest steelhead stream. I have never had the opportunity to chase steelhead. I don't know if I will ever get the opportunity to do so. However, I am fascinated by the videos and photos of steellhead that I have seen. The passion and ferver that I have seen from die hard steelie anglers seems to be a notch higher than other fly anglers. Also, spey casting is beautiful.

With all of that said, I decided to get the book A Passion for Steehead by Dec Hogan. First off, it is a beautiful book. As others have said in reviews of this book, the passion that Dec Hogan has regarding steelhead fishing definitely shines through. However, the highlight of the book to me, by far, is the introduction. This chapter is actually written by the publisher/editor Thomas Pero. It describes the life of a steelhead from an egg all the way through its life. It is an incredibly detailed explanation of the journey that a steelhead takes. After reading this account, I gained an entirely new appreciation for steelhead and what an amazing and incredibly majestic animal they are. I can now understand the passion and devotion that many steelheaders have for this fish. I can see how it could become so addictive. The opportunity to hook and land one of those big beautiful fish and then release it after all that it has gone through just to make it to that spot in the river, has to be an amazing feeling. A chance to fish for steelies has now leaped to the top of my fly fishing bucket list. If you get a chance to read the introduction to this book, I highly recommend it.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: A Passion for Steelhead

I'll throw out some advice, once you do take the plunge and drop some cash on a trip to chase steelhead, do it right. Pick the right place, time, and guiding operation. This will increase the cost of your trip like 30% and increase your chances of actually catching one by about 80%

Take it from a guy who's spent multiple days wading deep in the cold drizzle in Oregon making thousands of casts, but never held a fish. (I'm not knocking OR, mind you. There's plenty of steel to be had there.) DIY steelheading is basically just playing the lotto in a cold rain and getting a sore arm in return.

I should also add that I'm referring to West Coast steelhead. GL's is a different ballgame.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:50 PM

kyflytyer will become famous soon enough

I'm with you, txbevo. I am not very close to steelhead waters but I'm dying to go after them. From what I've read over the years and from videos that I've seen, I believe that steelhead fishing would be the thrill of a lifetime. Maybe someday!
Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Steelhead fishing is certainly a gas. Around here they say the tug is the drug. Hanging on while a fish runs you into the backing, then jumps is unbelievable. I'm so fortunate to have so many good streams within a couple of hours drive. And two within an hour. Go if the opportunity arises.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:42 PM

bpfohler is on a distinguished road

I'm lucky tolive just 4 hours from a great steelhead river. Even the small ones put on a show when they strip your line to the backing and flop out of the water.

Where I live in the NE trout fishing is over by Oct. 15th and that's when the steelhead fishing just starts to get good.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Txbevo: The journey that Mykiss makes in that chapter is amazing to say the least. When reading it I told my wife that she absolutely must read it. I'm glad to see someone else comment on this wonderful book.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-08-2009, 08:29 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I feel for the fellows that live so far from Steelhead water, they are a magnificent fish. I am one of the fortunate people who live in our particular Steelhead Heaven. I live on the edge of Steelhead Alley; and am a short drive from the west coast of Michigan. If any of you make it up this way I'd be happy to show you how fortunate flyfishers are in our little corner of the world.

Dan
Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 AM

idahoflyfisher is on a distinguished road

Early this year i got the steelhead fever. I made a post about it and was asking for help. I got a boat load of information from everyone here and set off on multiple trips to the clearwater in N. Idaho in pursuit of these awesome fish. Well yesterday i caught my first steelhead and i will say there is nothing quite like it. I am hooked for life. All i have thought about for the last day is catching my next steelhead(and a research paper i worked on last night). I am leaving in literally 15 minutes to head out for another trip. I warn you though, once you start I don't think you will ever be able to stop.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Idahoflyfisher.
I bet that fish will forever be burned in to the gray matter.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 11-08-2009, 03:06 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

I am also one of the lucky few who live in Steelhead Alley. Believe it or not though, i had never been...until last week. I had always wanted to go, but lacked the knowledge. Huron River Dan was kind enough to take me out, get me rigged up and show me how its done. Let me tell you...the first time you do it...you will be hopelessly addicted. Not only is the scenery beautiful, but it has a beautiful loneliness in the late fall as the skys gray and leaves drop. The magnificence of the steelhead themselves keeps you coming back and i can promise you, that the wind and cold will be the last thing on your mind. You must go...you owe it to your self to go.

And just think...i didnt even catch a fish!

BTW...Thanks Dan...major kudos for helping a newbie. Cant wait to hit it again!