The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 06:02 AM

oddurthorri is on a distinguished road
Default Sage Z-axis 7110 v 8110 reel choice

Hi guys,
any of you possess either one of these Zīs?
Seriously considering taking the plunge for a lighter Atlantic salmon switch for smaller Icelandic rivers.
I saw some reel recommendations for the 8110, those were:

Ross Momentum 5 (500$)
Tibor Everglade (640$)
Sage 3500D (600$+)

These will probably do very fine, but a little out of my price range.
I have a Lamson Konic 3.5 (wf 7,8) but as some of you know the Z switches donīt conform to WF standards. I will probably go for a Rio skagit short, somewhere between 350-425 gr., do you think my Konic will hold it, or will I need a bigger reel?

Would consider reels around 300$.

Thanks,
Oddur Thorri
Old 11-07-2009, 10:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sage Z-axis 7110 v 8110 reel choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddurthorri View Post
Hi guys,
any of you possess either one of these Zīs?
Seriously considering taking the plunge for a lighter Atlantic salmon switch for smaller Icelandic rivers.
I saw some reel recommendations for the 8110, those were:

Ross Momentum 5 (500$)
Tibor Everglade (640$)
Sage 3500D (600$+)

These will probably do very fine, but a little out of my price range.
I have a Lamson Konic 3.5 (wf 7,8) but as some of you know the Z switches donīt conform to WF standards. I will probably go for a Rio skagit short, somewhere between 350-425 gr., do you think my Konic will hold it, or will I need a bigger reel?

Would consider reels around 300$.

Thanks,
Oddur Thorri
Hi Oddur,
The recommended Skagit Short line for a Sage 7110-4 is the 375 grain size. You can fit that onto a Lamson Konic 3.5, but you will not have much room for 20 pound dacron backing. What you can do is use 30 pound gel spun backing instead.

If you are considering the 8110-4 switch rod, you may want to look at the Lamson Konic 4. That will fit a 425 grain Rio Skagit Short line. I would still use 30 pound gel spun backing.

Another option for reels is the Lamson Guru in the same sizes. The capacities are nearly identical to the Konics, but they are fully machined from barstock aluminum and have nicer finishes. I believe you will be spending under $250 for each reel in their respective sizes.

MP
Old 11-07-2009, 11:06 AM

Yeah,
thatīs pretty much what I figured out,
I think Iīll remain afraid of gel-spun, unless someone convinces me otherwise...
Might as well get a new piece of rod candy, will I regret no springing for the Velocity or even the Lightspeed? Those look awesome, and the Velocity is "only" 80$ more.....
Old 11-07-2009, 11:46 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

There are a lot of other braided lines that you can use instead of gel spun. At the shop, our prefered braided backing is Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid in 55 pound test. It has the same diameter as 12 pound test dacron. It lays down flat on the spool and is not abrasive like gel spun. If you must go thinner, Daiwa's Samurai Braid in the 30ish pound test size would be the way to go.

Cortland Spectron Super Braid is an alternative, too. It isn't as thin as Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid, but it is much thinner than dacron. I believe that 35 pound test Spectron Super Braid has the same thickness as 12 pound dacron backing. Like the Saltiga Boat Braid, Spectron Super Braid is not as abrasive as gel spun.

I use braids for my reels that need increased capacity. I use Daiwa Saltiga Boat Braid for my bluewater reels. I use the Cortland Spectron Super Braid on my Spey and switch rods.

In regards to the reels, here is what you get. When you go to the Velocity from the Guru, the main thing that you get is a more durable finish (Hard Alox finish). The finish is very scratch resistant. When you go to the Litespeed from the Guru, you get Hard Alox finish and more weight savings.

MP
Old 11-07-2009, 12:38 PM

Reckon I would have to go thinner since I would be dealing with Atlantic Salmon...
But many thanks for the advice, Iīll try to find some money for the Hard Alox.

As for the 7110/8110 Zīs, anyone have some useful info for me?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:31 PM

wild trout is on a distinguished road

I have the Z- 6110 and the 7110 switch rods. I use a .024 running line with backing and a scandi compact st 6/7 floating 390 gr shooting head on the 7. You can launch 100 feet of line no problem. I run the Lamson Velocity and it matches well. Check your pm for some info.

WT
Old 11-07-2009, 06:16 PM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

I have a Velocity 3 and a Litespeed 3.5 on my steelhead rods. The drag adjustment on the Velocity is much touchier than the Litespeed. By that I mean more care must be taken when adjusting with a fish on. The drag tightens more, with less rotation of the knob. Both reels are very smooth and very well made. I also like that I can make them silent. Either reel would work fine, IMO. You can find the 08 Velocitys on closeout very reasonably.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:03 AM

wild trout is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq 5oh View Post
I have a Velocity 3 and a Litespeed 3.5 on my steelhead rods. The drag adjustment on the Velocity is much touchier than the Litespeed. By that I mean more care must be taken when adjusting with a fish on. The drag tightens more, with less rotation of the knob. Both reels are very smooth and very well made. I also like that I can make them silent. Either reel would work fine, IMO. You can find the 08 Velocitys on closeout very reasonably.
Is there a big difference between the 08 and 09 models? If there is whats the difference? Thanks

WT
Old 11-12-2009, 10:18 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

As an inexpensive alternative, you might consider an Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock, # V. I had exactly the same question you posed for my new Sage Z-Axis 7110-4 switch rod. The 7-weight reel I had wouldn't hold the thicker line appropriate for this rod. A Super Moderator on this Forum recommended this reel to me, and I haven't been disappointed. As an added bonus, the light weight of this reel allows me extra casting time before my arm wears out casting this relatively-heavy rod in the one-handed overhead style.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:34 AM

pdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the roughpdq 5oh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild trout View Post
Is there a big difference between the 08 and 09 models? If there is whats the difference? Thanks

WT
Sorry I didn't see your question. The 09 Velocitys are a bit lighter and machined a bit differently. I don't think the drag is any different. The warranty is lifetime on both yr reels. IMO, the extra weight of the 08 reel would aid in balancing the rod a little better. On another thread I mentioned trying many reels to balance a 7wt 10' Z-axis. The reel that balanced best ended up being heavy enough that I didn't want to cast all day with the added weight. The Velocity 3 and Litespeed 3.5 both balance closely enough and don't make casting all day a chore. I think you'd be very well pleased with an 08 Velocity.