The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 08:54 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice
Default Very unusual Flyfishing incident today

I cut and paste this from my entry today on the NYC Trout Bums forums...it took place on the EB Croton...a tailwater stream north of the city that provides drinking water to New York City.......:

Fished EB Croton today - below the bend at phoebe hole I hooked into what turned out to be a fat 17" Bow.....I basically walked him onto the leaves on the shore - as I went down to remove my Pheasant tail...I realized the hook was not in his mouth...rather ....it was entangled in a treble hook that was part of a spinner that was dangling out of the corner of his mouth? I undid them....removed the spinning lure ...a mepps type brand w/ black & yellow markings...and released the fish. Continuing downstream I ran into someone fishing "Tenkara" style....it turned out to be Chris Stewart who posts on this site as I immediately brought this site into our conversation. He showed me his rig...and was kind enough to give me two tan scuds which I plan to use in the near future...(thank you Chris)...I continued just a litle further downstream where I encountered a young man spin fishing....he asked me if I fished the river alot...I said yes. He wondered what type of fish were in it because he had hooked into a big red fish a few hours earlier that snapped his line...he said he knew what a rainbbow looked like but this fish was exceptionally red on the side and wondered if salmon occupied the stream. I assured him it was most definitely a rainbow and many have bright red/pink colored sides. He said it was huge....took his lure and he wondered about whether it would survive ....which I said was very likely. I then recounted my tale...and as I was taking the spinning lure off my fly vest to show him his eyes almost popped out of his head. He said Oh My god...that is my lure...you caught my fish. He then proceeded to show me the identical spinning lure from his tackle box....as he had 2 of them before the loss. Unbelievable....anyway...I then gave him his original lure back...assured him the fish was never harmed - and assured him it most definitely was a rainbow. I doubt I'll ever have a story like that to recount again.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very unusual Flyfishing incident today

That was a great story, what are the chances of bumping into the same guy that lost the mepps spinner! Thanks for sharing.

Larry
Old 11-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Walter,

That's different isn't it? I have fished maniacally in areas where I had fish break me off in Spring Creek (Pennsylvania) years ago trying desperately to get flies back. I would try same day, next day, and every time I fished the creek. Never did I get any of my streamer flies back.

A few years ago I caught a wonderful steelhead here and found an egg pattern in his jaw. I have seen salmon swim past me with half a dozen flies stuck in them (poor buggers) but have never caught one of the brightly adorned models.

I would have to say that was one stubborn rainbow or perhaps the hungriest fish I've heard of as of late.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-08-2009, 05:29 AM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

There is one other scenario which I hate to admit but is likely ...I keep wondering maybe he never intentionally took my PT....re: I think maybe it drifted by him and just got snagged in the treble hook...the same way it would a branch/log, etc...because when I got to him...the hook never actually was in his mouth. But....we''ll never know.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Wow. What a chain of events. Thanks for sharing that story. Not only do you have a story to share with the grandkids, but the fish has a good one too.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Some years ago I was fishing at a private pond for largemouth
There's some nice bass in this lake, and it's strictly C&R. The campground where the pond is located manages it well and the fish reach a respectable size.
I had on a Sneaky Pete and at the time it was just sitting on the water next to the canoe while I was watching some kids fishing from shore
Next thing I knew.... fish on...
The bass came to hand fairly easily and it was proved to be the largest I'd ever seen in person
This bass had seen it's share of hooks before as her mouth was pretty tore up and to top that, inside the bass' mouth was a ragged plastic worm and hook that had pinned her throat closed.
The bass stayed calm while I unhooked my bug and then backed out the worm hook, saving her from a slow death.
She was released and slowly swam off.

To this day I contend that this fish wanted help and hooked herself on purpose.
I'm sure most people would think that that's beyond a fish's thought process, but you're not going to convince me
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

My brother got a giant Brook Trout once kinda that way. His was hooked in the mono loop of a snelled hook. We didn't find the original owner though. I caught a big Largemouth once that broke me off, and got it again the next day and got my paddle bug back. I also caught a 29 3/8" Walleye on a blue / white clouser on Oct 5th, let it go and recaught it on the 20th. Blue / white clouser again. Either a dumb fish or it has long term memory problems.