The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 07:35 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about
Default lanyards

Looking for recomendations on lanyards and fly boxes.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:15 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: lanyards

I stopped wearing vests a long time ago. It seemed that I was always carrying more gear than I needed to. Since then I have learned to minimalize my loads. If I can fit what I need into my pockets, I'm in good shape.

The lanyard was the final piece to the puzzle. I could get my necessary tools, tippet, floatant, and my license together on a lanyard. I use a Morning Star Lanyard.

As for boxes, it's personal preference. Some people like slit foam. Some like rippled foam. Some like clips. Some dividers. Some like their boxes clear. Some like their boxes waterproof. You need to figure out what's best for you.

MP
Old 11-10-2009, 12:34 AM

TB3 is on a distinguished road

Fly boxes are a deeply personal issue, as MP said, it's best if you buy or check out a handful of them and decide what you like...

For me, my nymphs and streamers go into soft foam, Morell-type fly boxes. Most often one side is rippled and another is flat, and they work well for me. For dries, I use an aluminum box sold by Cabela's. One side has little compartments which are excellent for holding traditional-winged dries- the compartments prevent the hackle from being crushed. The other side is a flat sheet of foam which works well for parachutes, no-hackles, etc.

But again, find out what works for you...
Old 11-10-2009, 05:58 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Thank you, A guy I know told me that I would be happier with a lanyard as I wouldn't have to carry as much stuff.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyfisher45,

You need to check out lanyards and make your own decision. I dislike any that I have ever seen. I don't like the dangling, hanging stuff always getting in my way. Some have a clip that holds the lanyard close to the chest but the things hooked on to it dangle. A lot of people like them but not me.

I much prefer a very small chest pack that has everything tucked away. When I bend over I don't want things dangling from a lanyard, vest or chest pack. For the same reason I don't like the leader spool holders that let the spools of leader material hang on the front of the pack or vest.

Fly Fishing gear and even techniques are based mostly on personal preference. That is why we all end up with a bunch of little fishing tools or tackle in a box someplace we bought but never use.

Frank
Old 11-10-2009, 09:07 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher45 View Post
Thank you, A guy I know told me that I would be happier with a lanyard as I wouldn't have to carry as much stuff.
LOL!!! "Wouldn't have to carry" should be changed to "CAN'T CARRY". You'll like it a lot more! You'll find you put more thought in to your experience ... not taking the entire car with you to the stream. I like the small chest pack. It has a velcro closure on it to prevent the contents from falling out when I bend over. As for boxes, you'll sped more time planning, and carrying less, so what ever format box you use is smaller.

If you go for the lanyard (nah ... don't do it!) look for one that has an alligator type clip at the bottom to clip it to your shirt. Stops the bouncing and swaying ... but you'll like the pack better!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:01 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

The great grand daddy foreruner of the chest pack and lanyard.
Click the image to open in full size.

I'll take the vest anyday. You don't HAVE TO take the whole house.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi flyfisher45,

Here is a chest pack that I use and would buy a second one if Orvis was still selling it. A lot of chest packs are too big and even this one could be a little narrower. The ventilated back works great and has a loop for a net. The adjusting straps allows me to pull the pack up tight against my chest. So bending over or getting out of a boat everything stays put. Leader spools in the front and two small fly boxes in the pack. It meets all of my chest pack requirements.

Frank

Orvis Compact Chest Pack

This is the Orvis Chest Pack they are selling now. has the same back but the bag is bigger.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Scott Spencer is on a distinguished road

I might suggest a personalized/custom lanyard from Rick.
http://waterwalkerlanyards.blogspot....ted-today.html

He made one for both me and my wife according my specs and wishes! He will send you photos of it before he sends it out just to make sure it is exactly what you want. In short, this is the best lanyard I've ever seen and used.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:55 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I made my own lanyard
Not a lot of effort there. Cord, beads, snapswivels...
I wear it mostly in the canoe and kayak. When I also have on a PFD
I tuck the forceps inside my shirt, or PFD, or wader top, etc. There's no bouncing around
Tippet spools go into a pocket or gear bag. I can't see why anyone would want those hanging from a lanyard.

I tried a chestpack exactly one day.
I'm not exactly a thin man in the first place and the chestpack made it even more difficult to see my feet and where I was going