The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 03:52 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of
Default Eastern Sierra Trip

Had a nice week in the Eastern Sierra recently for some late-season fishing. The bite wasn't quite as hot as I thought it would be, but here are a few pics from the trip:

Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

We hit many of the lakes in the Mammoth/June area, as well as Hot Creek and the Upper Owens.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eastern Sierra Trip

Good looking photos, thanks for sharing! The Eastern Sierras are beautiful regardless of how the fishing turns out.

Larry
Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi von behr,

Typical High Sierras fishing, thanks for sharing.

I was all over the West side of the High Sierras back in the fifties. Back then we had few restrictions and camped anywhere we wanted to. This was before back packing really took off and so many people were into it. My first pack was a WWII surplus I bought in 1951. Make from steel and was heavy but surprisingly comfortable. My buddy had a Trapper Nelson wooden pack board. Dang, those were good times.

Frank
Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a beautiful area, Thank you for sharing.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I was planning on hitting up Hot Creek and the Owens around thanksgiving but heard they weren't fishing as well as they could be so I think I'm going to the East Walker instead. Good pics though, nice work.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:44 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I've wanted to fish the East Walker for a long time. I've heard nothing but great things about that place. For this trip, I had to stay in the Mammoth/June area, because the group of guys I was with are not all fly fishers.

Some of the guys just like to troll the lakes. I threw flies as much as I could, but used a variety of tactics and gear on the trip, and we all caught something, one way or another. I caught more of my fish and a greater variety using flies. The two browns depicted, while not large, were both taken on nymphs on Hot Creek and the Upper Owens. I used a dry/dropper set up.

Occasionally, I got some love on the dries, but they were mainly smaller rainbows. The bigger fish were deeper and hitting the zebra patterns. I also stripped streamers using a sinking line to really get down in some of the deep holes, but could not tempt any of the large browns undoubtedly lurking down there.

My next drive up there, I'm checking out the East Walker and the Bridgeport area.

Cheers,

-VB