The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 PM

TB3 is on a distinguished road
Default Vest Suggestions?

The thread on lanyards got me thinking...I'm going to need a new vest come this spring. I've grown out of my current hand-me-down, plus it has entirely to many pockets, pouches, and zippers for it's own good.

I don't typically carry all that that much gear, 3 or 4 flyboxes, 4 spools of tippet, a couple leaders, floatant, hemos and nippers, and that's about it. I'm thinking about a chest pack or something similar when I'm huffing it out west on freestone streams and don't need much more than a box of flies and a spool of tippet, and getting an vest for when I'm on more technical waters...

Anyone have a vest or chest pack model they really like? What are the pro's and con's?
Old 11-10-2009, 12:24 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vest Suggestions?

I like a vest that hugs close to the body. The newer vests all seem to have great bulging pockets that protrude out from the body over an inch. That inhibits movement and taken to extreme can unbalance the vest itself and you too.
Think about the purpose of the vest. For me it is to hold objects and materials I will need securely and out of the way emphasis on out of the way. I'm one of those guys that hates things that poke protrude or in any way cause me to deviate from natural movement. l don't even like sandals that fit between your toes. Aaaccckkkk.
The number of pockets is irrelevant since you only need to fill the ones that fit your needs. My vest has like 24 pockets or something,. [I've never counted them] but I only use about six.
Think about the material the vest is made of. Ones that have netting around the shoulders or back will be cooler on hot days. Here in Colorado staying cool is not much of an issue for me, it's usually the opposite.
I like having the tab on the top middle of the back to attach a net to.
I don't think spending a hundred bucks or more on a vest is necessary either. l'm definitely a function above fashion guy. I'll spend the money saved on other fishing stuff that actually gets used.
Here's me in my cheap vest. LOL I didn't need a hundred dollar vest the catch this brown.
Click the image to open in full size.
Bottom line. Laugh all you want. I got my vest from Wal Mart for $20 bucks. It's lasted a full season and has yet to fail in any way. It serves my purpose and that is after all what it is supposed to do.

Last edited by yatahey; 11-10-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: to insert photo
Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Simms G3 and I'm very pleased with it.I specially like the front pockets which are semi rigid,the two little springs to hang tools and floatant,the little magnets to fasten it quickly,the fly foam,.I've only found a con's so far,the back zip is a bit short.A great vest for sure and one of the very best on the market.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:52 PM

TB3 is on a distinguished road

I'm about the same way, Yatahey...I have enough line control issues without having to worry about bulging pockets, zippers, velcro, and all the little danglydowns...

Truthfully, I'm not sure what all I need- definitely a couple pockets for storage, and a spot to keep sandwiches/drinks/snacks, other than that I'm not sure. I suppose this will be a quest...
Old 11-10-2009, 02:02 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

I think that I have spent so much time trying to make any one vest work that it has driven me to look at backpacks and not the fly fishing kind either. I really hate the front chest packs on most of the fly fishing packs, they obscure vision, get in the way and end up being as much trouble as a vest.
I will probably continue to use it around deep water since it has a floatation bladder built into it.
I end up hiking alot so I am looking at some of the packs with a hydration bladder. I have a lanyard which will allow me to access most of the tools and materials without removing my pack all of the time and I won't have a bunch of stuff sticking out the front.
I know this isn't all about vests, but it is my most recent take on them. Good luck with your search.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:06 PM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

Get a hip pack. I just purchased Tebevo's that he listed in the classified section and I love it. I had a vest and wanted to be liberated from all the pockets and accessories I had dangling in front of me. My line would get tangled in them and it was a pain.
The pack sits on your lower back and when you need access to gear, just pull it in front of you. When you're done, push it back and on your way. Enough room to store 4 box's and much more.
http://www.riverbum.com/Fishpond-Waterdance-Guide-Pack/
Clint
Old 11-10-2009, 06:52 PM

kyflytyer will become famous soon enough

I started out fly fishing using a Cabela's vest. After quite a few years of use and abuse, I decided to replace it. Instead of going back with a vest, though, I went with the Fishpond Double Haul system. It is both a chest pack and a backpack. Both components can be worn seperately or together. I like this system because I can tailor it to my needs. If I'm only going out for a few hours on the water, I may only wear the chest pack. If I'm going on a longer trip, I'll wear both. The quality is top notch.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:16 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Vest Suggestions?

I started out with a vest but have since moved to using the fishpond Blue River chest/lumbar pack. I use it like a sling pack and it works well. I plan on using a lanyard for my tools next year but for everything else the pack is great, holds everything, and is small in size.

Note: I fish mostly spring creeks so if you need bigger gear for heavier water I would look at a larger pack.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:50 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I like a compact vest...I also like chest packs...My Steelhead gear is a back pack(small) with two chestpacks that ride low. I like it very much. Carry everything I need for a day chasing steel. Sorry no pic.

Dan
Old 11-14-2009, 12:57 AM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

dont know if this is what ur lookin for?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...008000_175-8-1

i got this one this spring and what little bit i was able to use it l love it..it is mesh so its not as hot as a pack or full vest and if you do get it wet it keeps you cool while its wet and drys out pretty fast. fishing a hot day here in idaho the cooler in the pickup decided to leak on it, at first i was mad cause it was wet but dang did if feel good on the river.

just watch it i got mine on sale for 30 bucks though.

and just my 2 cents id go with a vest or fanny pack no chest packs or back/chest pacs they are to big and bulky