The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Stocking foot or Bootfoot?

It's been many years since I've had to fork out a chunk of change for a new set of waders, going on roughly 15 yrs with my Simm's.

Anyway, I'm starting to look at some new ones and the question comes to mind......That as I get older the "putting on and taking off" of waders is a bit more of a pain in the rear than it was even just a few years ago, add to this that I don't wear wader all season long because I much prefer wet-wading once the water warms/and before it gets too cold again in the Fall, and I don't really do a lot of hiking in waders. So I'm thinking about getting a pair of Bootfoots.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing? if so, what are the pro's and Con's of going Bootfoot?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 03-21-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:40 PM

oldman50 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stocking foot or Bootfoot?

I hear ya on the not so easy on and off. Still though, if I wasn't wearing my stocking foot breathables, my back would be toast. I'm in waders all day so I need that ankle and arch support. Boot foots don't always support the ankles and my feet sort of slop around in them. Even though they are a pain in the buttocks to put on, I'll stick with the stocking foots. Just my 2 cents.
Ron
Old 03-21-2011, 07:44 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Fysh

I am not a experienced fly man but I do know to take care of my feet and having wore the bigfoots while duck hunting, they just don't cut if for me. I want a boot that keeps my feet from rolling when walking on rocky bottoms.

Dave
Old 03-21-2011, 07:47 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Fysh

I have to agree with gt. I need the ankle support of the lace up boots. Boot foot waders don't give a good secure fit.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 03-21-2011, 07:48 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Stocking, for the simple reason that in the summer I wet wade and I use Simms neoprene socks/booties with my wading boots over them instead of waders and a pair of shorts. That way I get double duty from the wading boots and the neoprene socks are pretty cheap. Plus, the boot foot waders never seemed that comfortable but I'm sure they have gotten better in the past 20 years.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:36 PM

driftaway is on a distinguished road

a compromise of sorts is the style that is carried by LL Bean and others that has the boot attached but you can lace them for good support.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
Plus, the boot foot waders never seemed that comfortable but I'm sure they have gotten better in the past 20 years.
One thing in the positive on comfort level that I've heard about the Bootfoots of today is that "these ain't your Daddies Bootfoots from the 70's."

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Stockingfoot for the options. I can put booties and flippers over them; put just wading boots over them. Also have the option to put the same wading boots over neoprene socks to wet wade.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:45 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Stockingfoot for the options. I can put booties and flippers over them; put just wading boots over them. Also have the option to put the same wading boots over neoprene socks to wet wade.
Yeah I agree. Plus for those places where felt soles are still allowed. I guess it was perfect timing for AK to ban them, I would be ready to replace mine about the time the ban goes into effect. Ill just stick with the lugs.
Either way stocking waders allows that flexibility.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have both stocking foot and boot foot boots
I've found that any perceived lack of ankle support really isn't much of an issue for me and the bootfoots fit snug enough so my feet don't "slop around"
The only problem that I have with my bootfoots is that the boot sole is not as thick/solid/sturdy as on my wading boots. It's like wearing sneakers compared to hiking boots.

Otherwise I like my boot foots for the obvious reasons and they're really the only way to go when fishing in the surf