The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 02:12 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough
Default mother nature's sense of humor

So I went out to just test the new rig and catch some early panfish to pass the time as I have mondays off and got my butt handed to me by mother nature. Here in northern chicagoland it is raining but overall the weather is in the 50's so I thought that it would be okay. Yesterday it was the same as today and on a local forest preserve pond I caught a handful of panfish, so I thought today would be the same. Not a chance...

Started okay, I know the pond well and where to start my search for my nemisis of the day in a small channel that is always good for two or three blue gil or crappie. Cast out my fabulous black and purple woolie that's never failed for one on the day, strip a few times then snag. Play with a little and it frees up, so I move down the shore line a little and make a few more presentations and get nothing. So I moved around to the other side of the channel over the bridge and the fun begins.

Two casts on the other side and snag again, but this time it breaks off and a muskrat, I him Hank as he looks like a Hank, appears on the bank near me. He looked like he was laughing at me and with good right. as I looked rediculous. Into the water he goes... I tie on another one of the same b & p woolies as they have been amazing here year round and move round the bank back to the main area of the pond where I usually get my best fish. Snag and it is gone too... and Hank appears a few later with a small fish in his mouth. Getting frustrated I tie on an olive just as the wind picks up.

Casting some more and tangling it the weeds twice, I have caught trees, weeds, a log, a goose in mid air, and an old coke can over the course of two hours while Hank has caught 3 more fish. Finally, soaked, cold, wet, and irritated I swear at Hank out of jealousy and start to pack up. When I turn around DNR is standing on the bridge I have to walk across to get back to my car where he asks why in the world I was swearing loudly at a muskrat. I explain, he explains why I got a $15 fine for swearing at the wild life...

The entire time I was there not a single hit... Now that I'm home it was funny, but I just hope mother nature hasn't any more fun days planned for me for the next few outings...

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: mother nature's sense of humor

Shawn: Sorry about the poor fishing conditions, but I enjoyed the great story!

Larry

Old 03-22-2011, 06:01 PM

thanks, I know everyone has days like that, it's just tough to smile right after sometimes

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Oh yeah Shawn, there are days when it seems impossible to get the fly in the water and when you do..........well you know. You didn't really get a 15 dollar fine for cussing did you?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-22-2011, 07:58 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a fine for cussing a muskrat? Just be glad it wasn't something big like a deer (that could have been a thousand bucks)

Dave
Old 03-22-2011, 09:01 PM

The fine was for inappropriate language while on public property, and to be honest I was fairly foul mouthed as well as giving hand gestures to the muskrat... there was a playground vacant of people within earshot so I get why he did it. Thinking about it now I must have been pretty funny looking to him, he said he was there watching me from his truck for 15-20min

Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
The fine was for inappropriate language while on public property, and to be honest I was fairly foul mouthed as well as giving hand gestures to the muskrat... there was a playground vacant of people within earshot so I get why he did it. Thinking about it now I must have been pretty funny looking to him, he said he was there watching me from his truck for 15-20min
In my 47-years I have never heard of someone being fined for inappropriate language in public. Almost sounds like a violation for the first amendment. LMAO!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:44 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

That was a good story, and its good you can laugh at already! Tough day on the water, but I bet this is a story you will tell for years to come... courtesy of the fine!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:54 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Great story; we've all been there. Well, maybe not cussing out Hank, but, y'know...

As for the fine, I would have asked how much more it would be to cuss out the DNR officer.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Great story; we've all been there. Well, maybe not cussing out Hank, but, y'know...

As for the fine, I would have asked how much more it would be to cuss out the DNR officer.
I too would have been sorely tempted. Given the conditions/lack of people ... What a Crock of XXXX.