The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 03:36 PM

derek34 is on a distinguished road
Default Echo rods

I would like to hear about anybody's experience with Echo rods (particularly the Ion or the Carbon). I have seen a few positive reviews, but there's not a whole lot of info out there. I know Tim Rajeff is a reputable designer and caster, but I haven't seen much about his Echo rods. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:50 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Echo rods

I havn't cast either of those, but I have cast and fished with the Echo 2 plenty, very impressive. Let people know what weight you are looking at and you might get more pertinent responses; there is a big difference between 3 wt and 8 wt. even in the same model. I know there are some on here who have those rods.

And WELCOME to the forum Derek, you WILL get answers here, there are some very knowledgeable and experienced members on here. It's like a free education!
Old 03-22-2011, 04:26 PM

Well, I am looking for a new 8wt for Salmon/Steelhead. The Ion looks like it might fit what I'm looking for. Then while on the Echo site, I saw the Carbon. I really liked the style and price to possibly replace my 5wt cheapo starter rod.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:37 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Welcome to the Forum Derek...I have an Echo I picked up three years ago; it's a 10' 6wt. I use it for small stream Steelheading, indi fishing and tossing streamers and it is a great rod for what I paid for it. I don't think you can go wrong with any kind of Echo.

Dan
Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek34 View Post
Well, I am looking for a new 8wt for Salmon/Steelhead. The Ion looks like it might fit what I'm looking for. Then while on the Echo site, I saw the Carbon. I really liked the style and price to possibly replace my 5wt cheapo starter rod.

Thanks for the reply.
I owned an Ion for about six months, and it was a great rod. I'm sure you probably read my review on the reviews section, as I think it's one of the few in existence. I had trouble finding info on the rod when I made my purchase for a bonefishing trip, so I just took the plunge and was pretty happy with the result. I actually think Echo needs to give out a few of their one handers for people to review, as the lack of info out there is probably hurting their sales. They are some of the best rods out there for the money, but nobody seems to write about them.

The Ion is a really, really fast rod. Faster than anything I've cast before, and is bordering on broomstick stiff. It's great for punching line into the wind or casting weighted flies and sinktips. I had the 9ft, 8wt, but I think they have 10ft rods that might be better suited for steelhead fishing. The 8wt was great on a windy bonefish flat, but a lot of work on a PNW river. I think the longer rods are more of a medium-fast action and would be a little more efficient on the arms for swinging. The 9-footer was great for nymphing though. No complaints there.

The build of the rods are very good, with a unique cork configuration and a durable reel seat. They are not as fancy looking as higher end rods, but they seem like they are kind of function-over-form, and built to last. I never dealt with Echo's warranty dept., but I've heard they are very accommodating. Plus, lifetime warranty at that price point is pretty awesome.

As far as the Carbon goes, I've just read that some of them are overly fast for such light rods.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:14 AM

TAT is on a distinguished road

I own 2 echo rods. Bought them about 5 years ago. A 5wt go to rod and 3 wt creek rod. I like both of them. A good value. They both cast better than I do.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 AM

leon o is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT View Post
I own 2 echo rods. Bought them about 5 years ago. A 5wt go to rod and 3 wt creek rod. I like both of them. A good value. They both cast better than I do.
I'm glad to hear the 5wt is a "go to" rod. I picked up a 5 wt Classic as my first rod. As a newbie I'm anxious to make my first cast with it.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:57 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Derek...I have an Echo Classic 6 wt and have fished the ION 10' 7wt for a couple of full days, nymphing.

(Especially for the money) I love my classic. First, it's a really pretty stick and the fisnish is better than you'd expect for the $$$. Second, it fishes just fine and can deliver big stuff in a breeze as well as medium sized dries. I don't use it for "close in" fishing.

The ION at 10' really allows for good line control and handled steelies over 10 lbs with ease. It felt a little heavy to me, but it's a bigger rod than I normally fish.

The Echos (my opinion only) are workhorse kinds of rods. They aren't a magic wand like the new BVK or a pricey Sage, but they do what they promise and do it well...I'm keeping my classic as my only 6 wt. -Mike
Old 03-26-2011, 08:01 PM

mrbrownliner is on a distinguished road

I am a proud owner of both an Ion and a Carbon. I use the 10' 7wt Ion for great lakes Steelies and It is a great rod for the money. It is not as light in the hand as say a Helios but it is a fraction of the cost and very well made with a great action and plenty quick.

I also have a 9' 5wt Carbon that I use for trout and small creek carping. Again... ton of rod for the money and couldn't be happier with the performance of both rods.

Not sure if that helps at all. Good Luck and Tight Lines.

-MBL
Old 03-27-2011, 09:08 AM

Thanks a lot everybody. All the info helps. I did a lot of forum surfing without many results before I finally asked.