The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 10:37 PM

oddurthorri is on a distinguished road
Question Spey experts wanted: Ideal rod for AFS 7/8

Hi guys,
it seems the harder I look for an answer, the more confused I get!
I have a new reel with the Rio AFS shooting head in 7/8 in the mail, and I'm really torn up over which rod will do the best job of launching that line across the river! Preferably with AND without a 10' sink tip.
I really like most Sage rods I ever tried, and was thinking of springing for the Z-axis, but which of the following will make the most of my fishing time, and why?

Z-axis 7136, 13'6" #7
Z-axis 8134, 13'4" #8
Z-axis 8129, 12'9" #8

Main use: Atlantic salmon on a pretty big Icelandic river, picture:
Click the image to open in full size.

Somebody please, put it straight!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:45 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spey experts wanted: Ideal rod for AFS 7/8

Usually one chooses a line for the rod, not the other way around.

First thing, all the listed rods can throw the 7/8 AFS Shooting Head.

Second, scratch the 7136-4 (as much as I love this rod) off your list since it may lack the backbone for larger Atlantic Salmon.

Third, you are going to want to choose the rod based on casting feel. The casting feel that you enjoy the most is the one you want.

If you use that line with an 8134-4, you will notice the rod load between the tip and the mid-section. If that is the feel that you like, the 8134-4 is the rod for you.

If you use that line with an 8129-4, you will notice the rod load at the tip. If that is the feel that you like, the 8129-4 is the rod for you.

In regards to polyleaders, go 15 feet. The longer leader will help you establish an anchor point with the long rods. The 10 foot polyleaders usually work best with rods 12 feet and under.

Lastly, it is not a bad idea to have two shooting heads. You can use the heavier head to help load your rod more for those windy days. For those two rods, you may want to get an 8/9 head, too.

If you have the ability to go out and cast these rods, try to do so.

MP
Old 11-17-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Usually one chooses a line for the rod, not the other way around.
Of course, this is just a part of a bigger problem!
I bought the reel and line for a 11' #8 switch rod. Then I realized I could add a small spey rod and utilize the same reel and line, very cost-efficient. This also explains the 10' leader-situation.

However, I could just add a 8/9 shooting head and swap heads and leaders when I swap rods.

Thanks for the details on the 8129 and the 8134, I'm just not that far along my speycasting career to really know which action I prefer. I'll just have to try and get a test at a local tackle store.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Okay, the 8129-4 it is!
Now I'm left with a new problem, I want both the 8129 AND the 8110, and will have to decide which one to get for next summer.

Tough choice, huh?
Old 11-18-2009, 01:32 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to figure what you want to do, eh?

Spey casting only - 8129-4.

Spey casting and nymph fishing - 8110-4.

Wanting the best to shorten the learning curve on Spey casting - 8129-4.

Nymph fishing and single handed Spey - 8110-4.

Or you can always buy both.

MP
Old 11-18-2009, 03:13 PM

Gar will become famous soon enough

Here's another option. I have the Temple forks ticr x series, which is a bomber rods for $250. I throw large pike flies with it. It has a kit for $150 that adds to new sections. You now have an 11-6 switch rod. This was a great investment fo rme to test the waters of a switch/ or light spey rod. My biggest concern was the spey sucking and having invested 500 bucks for nothing. I have been very impressed with the spey set up. Although I find myself using it as a two handed rod more than spey.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:11 PM

Post Re: Spey experts wanted: Ideal rod for AFS 7/8

Haha, guess it will eventually be both!
I just have to choose one.
Here is a quick pro/con:

Pros:
Versatile
Ideal for smaller Icelandic streams
Ideal for trout and char as well
Ideal for hitching salmon
Cons:
Might not perform as well as the 9129 in larger streams (that is my main fear)
I already have single-handed rods that could serve it's single-handed purpose.

Pros:
A graphite cannon, ,,king of the Z-axis series"
Ideal for guiding (if that's where I'm headed)
I've already got the AFS shooting head, which rocks on it
Don't have a spey rod
Cons:
Little bit more expensive
Useless (or ,,no fun" for char and smaller trout)
Limited use on smaller streams.

Since I fish both big and small streams, eventually I will have them both.
It's just a matter of choosing one for summer 2010 and one for 2011!
Any opinion well received!
Old 11-18-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddurthorri View Post
Haha, guess it will eventually be both!
I like your style.

Quote:
I already have single-handed rods that could serve it's single-handed purpose.
Quote:
Don't have a spey rod.
It looks like you are thinking long and hard about your future purchase. I think that you may have answered yourself already with those two key points.

MP
Old 11-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

It looks like you are thinking long and hard about your future purchase. I think that you may have answered yourself already with those two key points.

MP
Would like to start off by saying thank you for the feedback!
You've been more helpful than most people I've consulted, and considering that you are a stranger on another continent, this deserves a praise.

I've got one last point for you to consider, and I promise it's the last one.
I can get a good deal on a good European brand 14' spey rod + reel and line, what do you think about going for that deal and the 11' switch instead of a 12'9" spey?
Then my selection would consist of a #5, #7, #8 switch, #9 spey.
(Would miss the 12'9" for sure, but as I've said, I will get it later!)

Last edited by oddurthorri; 11-20-2009 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

That is a pretty big river, so I would go with the longest rod. It is rated at 7 and the line is a 7/8. If you have a hard time casting it you can just pull the marker a bit into the rod and it should cast fine. Long makes for longer casts, for me anyway, and with a river that big, that's the way I would go.