The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Best Gear Discounts on the Web!

I've found a couple of great websites for closeout gear and wanted to share; maybe this thread could be sort of a compilation of sites that consistently offer good deals on discontinued gear. I know there are alot of people on here looking to get started; they want good gear, but don't want showroom pricetags. Specifically the Redington CT is on sale for 109.00 with free shipping from this site: Redington CT Fly Rod Sale Clearance Closeout
They also have an Orvis BBS IV marked down from $139 to $75.

I'm considering getting a 6wt for fishing my big streamers. Though I'm unsure if this med action 6 wt will be much beefier than my fast 5 wt...hmm.

Another member mentioned the 50+% off deal on the Winston Vapor ($325 marked down to $149) from CLEARANCE & SPECIALS - Product Catalog. They also have some TXL's left for $299.00.

Anyone else know some of these shops that offer big discounts like this online?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Best Gear Discounts on the Web!

I've seen some great deals at Flyshop Close-outs...Sierra Trading also has some good deals...And don't forget Justin from Allen Flyfishing...

Dan
Old 03-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Blue Quill Angler is also offering a 40% off on Winston rods: Winston Fly Rods at the Blue Quill Angler

Larry

Old 03-23-2011, 08:41 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

Oooooh, I've been waiting to get a CT and that's the best price I've seen yet. Looks like I am finally going to order it on Monday. It's in Eugene too, so it's kind of local.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

MRFC has about the best selection of fly deals I know of.

Don't forget Deals on the Fly | Fly fishing deals so good, you will feel like you stole it! and Steep and Cheap: Rab Summit Alpine 400 Sleeping Bag: 21 Degree Down - $169.99 - 55% off !

Both have a single product up at a given time, and its available until they sell through that lot or its time allotment runs out. (S&C changes every 20-30 mins, DOTF more like every 36 hrs)

My last order from S&C was this jacket for $40- Sierra Designs Campfire Hoody - Men's

And this waist pack for $16- CamelBak Delaney Plus Hydration Lumbar Pack - 153cu in from Backcountry.com

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I buy my factory second lines from Discount Fishing Tackle (fortackle.com)
$9.50 for floaters or full sinking, $10.50 for sink-tip
They have cheap flies too, among other things.

Fisherman's Factory Outlet (ffo-tackle.com) sells mostly overstock conventional and spinning gear from Berkly, Garcia, Shakespeare, Pflueger, and Fenwick, but they often have some good deals on fly gear also.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:21 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
MRFC has about the best selection of fly deals I know of.

Don't forget Deals on the Fly | Fly fishing deals so good, you will feel like you stole it! and Steep and Cheap: Rab Summit Alpine 400 Sleeping Bag: 21 Degree Down - $169.99 - 55% off !

Both have a single product up at a given time, and its available until they sell through that lot or its time allotment runs out. (S&C changes every 20-30 mins, DOTF more like every 36 hrs)

My last order from S&C was this jacket for $40- Sierra Designs Campfire Hoody - Men's

And this waist pack for $16- CamelBak Delaney Plus Hydration Lumbar Pack - 153cu in from Backcountry.com
Those are awesome sites; I have never come across them before. I havn't found anything that I NEEDED yet, but almost bought that Fishpond Open Range Tech pack thats on there now for 50% off.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea Ausablebrown
Old 03-24-2011, 11:25 PM

dryfly87 is on a distinguished road

Support your local shops, a lot of times they will make you good deals on gear. Just call around and see what they have that works for you.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryfly87 View Post
Support your local shops, a lot of times they will make you good deals on gear. Just call around and see what they have that works for you.
That would be great if it were actually true. Truth is, "a lot of times" they have a price tag on the product and that is the price. Also, unfortunatly, stuck here in OH, there are two shops within 50 miles. There are no deals and that's the plain truth of the matter. I completely understand and adhere to the "Buy local" lifestyle. I visit my local orchard and farmers markets weekly in the summer, and shop at locally owned (or at least locally franchised) grocery stores when the prices are at least close. HOWEVER, I purchased a Sage TXL for $240 shipped last year from a fly shop in MT. They had to get rid of them, FAST apparently; not my local fly shop. No need to feel bad about purchasing a killer deal from someone else's "local shop". The sentiment is well intended, but just doesn't work for many, and may cause you to overspend by HUNDREDS. Besides, like it or not (I personally don't); the world is getting smaller, and successful shops post their deals and merchandise on the web for a national (if not) world-wide customer base.