The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2009, 04:31 PM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default Being Consistent

I am having troubl being a consistent fly fisherman. I catch fish once every other week and have no idea how to be consistent. Is it only a matter of time before I catch fish on every outing, or is there anything that I could do now to become a more consistent angler. I mean i dont think that I am bad ( I have a steelhead and browns, rainbows, brookies, largemouth and panfish on my fly rod within two yrs). Thanks for your expertise!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being Consistent

I've fly fished all my life and there was a time when I fished everyday

Still, I'll get skunked regularly and never give it a second thought.

That's why they call it 'fishing' and not 'catching'

Old 11-24-2009, 04:53 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

Keep going!! Pay attention to what is working and what is not. Keep a log book with conditions, time of day, flies used, weather, the more info the better after awhile you will notice patterns in whats working and whats not. Dont be afraid to turn over a few rocks and seeing what they are feeding on.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:06 PM

TB3 is on a distinguished road

If you're doing everything right and still not consistently catching fish, I'd suggest you keep experimenting with patterns, weight, etc. It may just be that you're not tuned in precisely on what they're feeding, or at what level in the water column, etc.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
That's why they call it 'fishing' and not 'catching'

Yup, what he said. I am well known in my area for my fishing, and I still get skunked. There is no such thing as the skunk proof angler. Short of dynamite and electro shocking that is. Don't get any ideas there.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:22 AM

afishinado is on a distinguished road

As your bag of tricks, with respect to finding fish, bug ID, fly selection, techniques, rigs, etc. increases with experience, and you are able to recognize the situation and apply these things, your overall success will increase and become more consistent. But as other have posted…be prepared for a skunking every so often, it happens to all of us.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:49 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Keep going...practice makes perfect; except in fishing...The skunk nips everyone sometime or other. Pay attention to the little things, observe what's going on around you and your success will increase. Fishing is a time to relax; enjoy your time in the stream...

Dan
Old 11-25-2009, 10:32 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you fishing the same stream/lake/river each time? If you become familiar
with the conditions, you can get a sense of where the fish will be, and when.
There's a great stream a couple miles away from me, but it's going to be
very tough to fish in a couple weeks. The local lake is going full swing right
now, however, and that's where I've been fishing. Even there, certain spots
are much better than others. A stream comes off the lake, and it's a real
hot spot right now for HUGE green sunfish and rock bass. Eventhough the
lake was recently stocked with 3,000 trout, trout fishing there has been
spotty. The only trout I've caught this Fall have been those that have fallen
into the lakes spillway, and down to the stream.

Look for the overhangs, deep pools, fish the seams between calm and swift
water, go shallow and deep. Move around to different spots. I was fishing
the Neshaminy Creek regularly this past summer, and the smallmouth just
weren't there. I stubbornly refused to wade past my usual stretch for months,
but a 1/4 mile hike upstream resulted in smallmouth galore. Funny thing is, that's just where I thought they would be......
Old 11-26-2009, 12:51 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I often say (and maybe I've said it here,) at least 50% of fishermen get skunked because they decide before leaving home, which fly, the style, and maybe even the hole they'll fish.You see the guy walk into the shop, walk straight to the flies, and pick the one that caught Walter last time ( or maybe ten yrs ago). We are such creatures of habit we think fish are too. If I'm with a client, I can't limit us to one fly or technique. We cover a lot of water, and fish dries, nymphs, or swing soft hackles. Streamers, nymphs, dries, and softies all work well, but not every time! I always use my bug seine and examine rocks. Still, it doesn't work predictably because fish live in an unpredictable watery world. Flows, hatches, temps and more. Consistancy isn't part of nature. Getting humbled by fish may be the real reason we keep at it for so many years.

Bigfly
Old 11-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Being Consistent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Getting humbled by fish may be the real reason we keep at it for so many years.
This is quotable truth!