The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default What's your Night-Fishing "STREAMER" Rod? WHY?

So, I like to tie and fish these god-awful large streamers for Browns. Not that I'm any good at it yet, but I really enjoy it, especially at night. About the only thing I've heard is that you want a rod that gives you some feel. Sometimes you'll feel a strike that you might not see or hear. I'm thinking of picking up one of the Redington CT's in a 6 wt (since they are on sale for $109). I'm curious about what you guys choose when you know you're going to be fishing big articulated coneheads, or giant fluffy mice, etc., especially at night. Fast stiff 5 wt, med 6 wt, other????
Old 03-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your Night-Fishing "STREAMER" Rod? WHY?

I have a couple rods that I use. A Loomis IMX 9' 7wt, and the other a SCOTT G 9' 7wt. Both with different actions, just depends on which rod I'm "feeling" at the time. Both rods get fished day & night.
I've never had much concern about not feeling a light strike at night, most of the time there's not much of a question as to whether it was a strike or not.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 03-24-2011, 01:32 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I've never had much concern about not feeling a light strike at night, most of the time there's not much of a question as to whether it was a strike or not.
That has been my experience, limited as it is. Fishing the topwater mice and such, they usually hit loudly enough to wake the dead! I've fished some of the underwater stuff at night, but with alot less success, only a few fish on them. Ive tried stripping up or across stream, and drifting down and across, but not much luck under the water with either method.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Look for skinny water next to shore, slow water, backwater, and eddy's, where the big fish come to hunt at night or low-light conditions. I like stillwater fishing the best when it comes to this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm probably wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

http://www.wasatchguideservice.com/

Old 03-24-2011, 02:14 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

The rod I use the most for mousing and fishing big Hex patterns is my 9' 6wt TFO...Why do I use this particular rod? I like it...

Dan
Old 03-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dan and Fysh you're poachers like Larry....it's forbidden to fish at night here
Old 03-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Hey Dan and Fysh you're poachers like Larry....it's forbidden to fish at night here
JP: And dang proud of it!

For large streamers I use my Sage Z-Axis 7 wt, for smaller streamers I use my Orvis T-3 6 wt.

Larry

Larry

Last edited by mcnerney; 03-24-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:31 PM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
So, I like to tie and fish these god-awful large streamers for Browns. Not that I'm any good at it yet, but I really enjoy it, especially at night. About the only thing I've heard is that you want a rod that gives you some feel. Sometimes you'll feel a strike that you might not see or hear. I'm thinking of picking up one of the Redington CT's in a 6 wt (since they are on sale for $109). I'm curious about what you guys choose when you know you're going to be fishing big articulated coneheads, or giant fluffy mice, etc., especially at night. Fast stiff 5 wt, med 6 wt, other????
I really like the way you think. I have a box full of galloups sex dungeons just for this. I use a Orvis 9ft 6wt tip flex to throw all my big streamers. It's been my experience when a big trout eats a streamer you won't not feel it
Old 03-24-2011, 02:34 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

... I can tell you what rod I don't use
I have an old fiberglass Orvis Golden Eagle 8wt. Some people might think of it as a "slow action", it's definitely a "full flex".

I was out stalking the beach late one night when I hooked into a nice sized striper. 20-25 pounds maybe
It took the fly nearly at my feet, bending the tip right down to the cork.
Scared the bejeebbies out of me. I don't use that rod at night any more
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

My preference for a trout streamer stick is a fast action 9 to 9.5 foot 6 weight. The fast action matches my stroke, and I know that the rod could handle the heavier grain mass of the line (up to 225 grains in some situations). Big flies like Sex Dungeons, Sculpzillas, and Bandit Leeches are easy to throw with the rod.

MP