The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 03:50 PM

drugcoder is on a distinguished road
Default Help choose first waders

I'm looking to purchase my first waders. My budget is pretty tight so it pretty much eliminates multiple pairs. I will be doing all of my fishing in the north Georgia, north Alabama, Southeast Tennessee areas. Probably will be doing most at the Hiwassee river which looks like it ranges from 55 degrees in spring and makes its way up to around 68 on average later in the summer.

The first pair that I have looked at purchasing is the boot foot 5mm neoprene waders from Cabelas. They fit the budget but I have questions about them. I have a background in SCUBA and know that if you're wearing a 5mm wetsuit in water that is too warm you will burn up. I'm wondering if it would be better to have a lighter weight pair of waders and just wear some kind of base layer under them when in cold water then just shorts when it warms up. Would I burn up with the 5mm waders?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help choose first waders

I would only recommend neoprene if you fish in pretty cold temps. You will sweat your butt off in the summer months if it gets warm and humid where you are. I fish in some pretty cold waters in the winter here and I'm usually fine with a layer of fleece under my gortex Simms waders but I'm sure you will be fine in any of the thinner breathable waders.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:54 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Do yourself a favor, get breathable stockingfoot. You'll understand why later. Also, look up reviews for the waders you're interested in. This will help you narrow down your choices, and may give you a choice you didn't know existed.

As for brands, whathaveyou, if you're trying to stick to a tight budget (i.e., the wife gives you an allowance), I think LL Bean is your best bet. I have a pair of their Flyweight waders ($69) that I bought two years ago for tubing, no leaks, and I sometimes use them for brushbusting up and down streams. I would recommend the $119 which are now $95 Emergers if you plan on doing a lot of bushwhacking, as they are more durable. Plus, LL Bean has a lifetime warranty, so if you spring a leak next year, just send them back and they'll take care of it, instead of trying to figure out how to fix it yourself or having to pay for it.

There's my two cents. Peace.

R.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

I just ordered a pair of Emergers from LL Bean today. They got good reviews and I did a Live Chat with a rep and he said if you get a leak in 6 months or 6 years just return them. They were on sale for 95 as you said and I think it was a good deal, especially with the warranty.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 03-24-2011, 06:11 PM

dcr is on a distinguished road

I'll third LLBean! I bought mine just for their return policy. Breathable is the way to go. Ive been using mine in 35 deg water this week. Heavy wool socks. A pair of polyester thermals. Ive been plenty warm.

DCR
Old 03-24-2011, 08:32 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

I purchased the LL Bean Flyweights last year. Used them throughout the winter with fleece wading pants and was toasty warm. If you're not going to abuse them and you're really on a tight budget, than I would recommend them.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Ditto on the stocking foot breathables. I duck hunt in mine. I bought mine in the "stout" size and they have lots of room for more layers as needed.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 03-24-2011, 10:57 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

My first set of waders were LL Bean Emergers. They are VERY durable, and somewhat breathable. Having just one small(i mean SMALL) pocket(not very functional) is the downfall of these waders, but what can you expect from a cheap pair of waders??
But these are very good and durable waders, will never let you down.
And with LLBeans warranty can't be beat.

Now, I just bought a pair of Redington CPX zip front waders. Haven't worn them yet. But I am very excited to try them out..
Old 03-26-2011, 11:24 AM

bjweller has a spectacular aura aboutbjweller has a spectacular aura about

I understand tight budgets but in my experience, cheap waders wear out quickly, get holes, don't patch well--and you end buying another pair sooner than if you had bought a nicer pair--ends up costing you more money. I am a pretty big fan of Simms products and I would highly recommend them. You can get a pair of Simms Freestones for around $200 and they last a lot longer and patch well.

"There comes a time in every man's life when he is either going to go fishing or do something worse."

-Havilah Babcock
Old 03-28-2011, 01:40 AM

vivid2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjweller View Post
I understand tight budgets but in my experience, cheap waders wear out quickly, get holes, don't patch well--and you end buying another pair sooner than if you had bought a nicer pair--ends up costing you more money. I am a pretty big fan of Simms products and I would highly recommend them. You can get a pair of Simms Freestones for around $200 and they last a lot longer and patch well.
Simms Freestones would be nice choice.