Being un...consistent.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This morning I went fishing on the Lergue,I don't know how many hours I've spent on this stream for forty years....but I know every corner of it.We went fishing there two weeks ago with my buddy JM and we had great fun catching many bows and chub,so today I decided to go to the same spot...the weather was wonderful and I was confident but ....I only managed to catch two fish:eek:I tried to think about the reasons of this failure:confused:I've found four but I'm sure there are many other ones which escape me:eek:First leaves are falling and it's usually bad,then I went there earlier than last time and the sun was low so it was vey difficult to see under the water(to nymph on sight it's bothering,isn't it),the water level was lower than two weeks ago and at last I found a plastic box of worms and footprints on the banks...so I'm affraid a "meater" was there maybe the day before.So everytime you go fishing you learn something...and you never stop learning....but there are also things that can't be learned:DAnyway I enjoyed being on the water ....next time it'll be better...but you're never sure;) blue sky on the river.

One of the spots I fished

One of the two plum chub I caught(on the chub special of course:D)

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Thanks for shaering, great story and great fish. they kinda look like a carp.
Bear

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
JP: The Lergue is a beautiful stream and the area looks awesome also! Thanks for sharing your part of the world. Most of us will never get to personally see it in person.

Larry

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
They kind of look like giant golden shiners. When golden shiners get really big though, the head is smaller. It kind of looks like the head stops growing but the body goes on growing for another third. Interesting fish jbbfly. If I can figure out where I have the picture of a big one golden shiner like that I'll scan and post it.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bear,HD Dan and D Dan:DThis one is fatter and more golden than others that's why it looks like a carp.I'd like to see american chub and golden shiners.This area of the stream is special for there are only big chub and alevins maybe because of cormorants,the fish left are the ones they can't eat:(
Larry,it WAS a beautiful stream,I've got pics taken thirty years ago the difference is worrying the water was clear the bottom clean:(I caught beaufiful browns in these spots...there are none left now and that's sad.You know if you want to know it"in person"...you're welcome;)
Ard,that's a nice one ....it's not a silver...it's only a gold:D

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK, I found a picture of one of the Golden Shiners I caught on a fly. This is pretty big for a Golden Shiner but I have caught them as big as a foot long. The ones that are that big have the same size head as this one. I have a picture of one of the tiny head giants someplace, I'll keep looking for. I have discovered I have a rediculous number of fish photos. I never took them till about 1996. I guess since then I have possibly gotten carried away with it to some extent.:eek: The fins on this fish are more orange and the scales may be a bit smaller. Pretty close looking though.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
Cool, at least I know I'm not the only one that catches minnows on my fly rods haha. I have a chub pic on my cell phone from the last trip I took to the Buffalo, IF I can figure out how the hell to get it off my phone onto the PC I'll post a pic
Bear

FrankB2

Reaction score
Hi Bear,
View the pic on your phone, and click options. Click send, and click picture
message. On the bottom part of the phone's screen, you'll see "123"
displayed. Click the keypad button closest to "123", and you'll be able to
change to letters and symbols. You can then type in your email address. I
try to take a camera with me when fishing, but since I learned how to use
the phone camera, I forget the camera more often than not....

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
D Dan I think the fish on your pic is what we call a"gardon"(rutilus rutilus)it's smaller with a small mouth and lives in slower waters whereas our chub have got a big mouth they feed on insects,fruit and little fish such as minnows.We often catch fish over 50 cm and there are some over 60 and 4 pounds.
Bear I've seen bears fishing for salmon but none phoning or taking pics by the river:D Frank,how can Bear dial numbers with his big paws?:D:frogdance

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
D Dan I think the fish on your pic is what we call a"gardon"(rutilus rutilus)
Actually it is a Notemigonus crysoleucas. There are a whole bunch of species that look much the way this one does. I'd hate to be the guy that had to keep track of them all.

---------- Post added at 10:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

Cool, at least I know I'm not the only one that catches minnows on my fly rods haha.
Bear
I was bored one day and took a #24 hare's ear (tied it that small just for giggles) and caught spot tail shiners. They were about 3" long.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually it is a Notemigonus crysoleucas. There are a whole bunch of species that look much the way this one does. I'd hate to be the guy that had to keep track of them all.[/quote]
You're right doc Dan:D

---------- Post added at 05:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 AM ----------

The rutilus rutilus has got orange eyes:eek:

fish_gypsy

Reaction score
Minnows have their place, I've caught some massive (9=10 inch) striped shiners on a big trout water near here. It's actually a lot of fun on light tackle, not much different in fighting than a similarly sized rainbow.

Redhorse are fun too : )

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
The only consistency in my fishing is that I don't fall in the river or creek while wading.

JP. here's a new "One Word" >>> Taxonomy >>> taxonomist

Bigfly

Reaction score
The only consistency in my fishing, is that I go often, and do occasionally slip! Years of too aggressive wading,and swims on big waters, led me to wear, at times, a Farmer jon wet suit. Don't have to worry about falling in and filling waders, you can get to any part of the river with tap dance or even side stroke techniques. But don't get too greedy, if you want to fish in the future.
I've gotta say I do not recognize any of those fish.

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
Nice fish, colorful. That looks like a stripping basket and streamer. I think I could maybe do that!