The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Being un...consistent.

This morning I went fishing on the Lergue,I don't know how many hours I've spent on this stream for forty years....but I know every corner of it.We went fishing there two weeks ago with my buddy JM and we had great fun catching many bows and chub,so today I decided to go to the same spot...the weather was wonderful and I was confident but ....I only managed to catch two fishI tried to think about the reasons of this failureI've found four but I'm sure there are many other ones which escape meFirst leaves are falling and it's usually bad,then I went there earlier than last time and the sun was low so it was vey difficult to see under the water(to nymph on sight it's bothering,isn't it),the water level was lower than two weeks ago and at last I found a plastic box of worms and footprints on the banks...so I'm affraid a "meater" was there maybe the day before.So everytime you go fishing you learn something...and you never stop learning....but there are also things that can't be learnedAnyway I enjoyed being on the water ....next time it'll be better...but you're never sure blue sky on the river.
Click the image to open in full size.
One of the spots I fished
One of the two plum chub I caught(on the chub special of course)
Old 11-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Being un...consistent.

That's a nice one
Old 11-28-2009, 12:39 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Thanks for shaering, great story and great fish. they kinda look like a carp.
Bear
Old 11-28-2009, 03:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

JP: The Lergue is a beautiful stream and the area looks awesome also! Thanks for sharing your part of the world. Most of us will never get to personally see it in person.

Larry
Old 11-28-2009, 04:34 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

TY JP... Looks like a beautiful little stream...Your chubs look nothing like what we call chubs...

Dan
Old 11-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

They kind of look like giant golden shiners. When golden shiners get really big though, the head is smaller. It kind of looks like the head stops growing but the body goes on growing for another third. Interesting fish jbbfly. If I can figure out where I have the picture of a big one golden shiner like that I'll scan and post it.
Old 11-29-2009, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Bear,HD Dan and D DanThis one is fatter and more golden than others that's why it looks like a carp.I'd like to see american chub and golden shiners.This area of the stream is special for there are only big chub and alevins maybe because of cormorants,the fish left are the ones they can't eat
Larry,it WAS a beautiful stream,I've got pics taken thirty years ago the difference is worrying the water was clear the bottom cleanI caught beaufiful browns in these spots...there are none left now and that's sad.You know if you want to know it"in person"...you're welcome
Ard,that's a nice one ....it's not a silver...it's only a gold
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I found a picture of one of the Golden Shiners I caught on a fly. This is pretty big for a Golden Shiner but I have caught them as big as a foot long. The ones that are that big have the same size head as this one. I have a picture of one of the tiny head giants someplace, I'll keep looking for. I have discovered I have a rediculous number of fish photos. I never took them till about 1996. I guess since then I have possibly gotten carried away with it to some extent. The fins on this fish are more orange and the scales may be a bit smaller. Pretty close looking though.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

Cool, at least I know I'm not the only one that catches minnows on my fly rods haha. I have a chub pic on my cell phone from the last trip I took to the Buffalo, IF I can figure out how the hell to get it off my phone onto the PC I'll post a pic
Bear
Old 12-01-2009, 08:07 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bear,
View the pic on your phone, and click options. Click send, and click picture
message. On the bottom part of the phone's screen, you'll see "123"
displayed. Click the keypad button closest to "123", and you'll be able to
change to letters and symbols. You can then type in your email address. I
try to take a camera with me when fishing, but since I learned how to use
the phone camera, I forget the camera more often than not....