The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2009, 09:19 PM

jugshead00 is on a distinguished road
Default Quality of reel does it mater?

I have been looking for a 3w reel to use on a Lamiglas 6.5 travel rod.
Here is my thinking as a beginer please correct me if my thinking is incorrect.
$280. rod, $75. worth of line. Fishing small creeks and rivers in the Blue Mt's
of Washington
. Do I need to spend a bunch($75 or more) of money on a reel or is it there to only hold the line on the spool?

I was at a major retail chain today and they had a reel for about $35.00

Last edited by jugshead00; 11-28-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quality of reel does it mater?

For a 3 wt rod and fishing small creeks I wouldn't spend a lot on the reel, it will mostly be used for storing the line anyway.

Larry
Old 11-28-2009, 10:06 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

Exactly- you don't need to spend more than 100 bucks on a reel for that size rod
Old 11-28-2009, 10:22 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

The only reasons to pay extra for a reel for your needs are: weight, looks and just the pride of owning something that will last for years and years.

Of those, weight would be my only serious concern. If the cheap reel costs $30 less than the better, lighter (balances with your rod) reel, you might want to pay the extra money.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:48 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

Another thing you may want to look into is warranties- a lot of the cheaper reels, if you break a part, you're SOL and have to buy an entirely new one. Some of the reels in the 100-150 price point though, if you break a component, can be shipped back to the manufacturer and fixed for no or minimal charge. If it's a reel you're going to be taking backpacking or on other more rough-and-tumble trips, that'd be something I'd look into.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:03 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Does the quality of the reel matter to you?

If all you want is a line holder that you can use and abuse and replace when it's beat, buy a beater reel like a Pflueger Medalist 1492, and be done with it. You won't feel guilty for spending $25 to $30 for it if you want to replace it later on.

If you like the quality of a well engineered piece of equipment, and you are willing to pay for it, spend the money for that reel. You won't notice any tinny sounds. The spool will spin true years on down the road like it's brand new (no wobbles). There is a strong chance down the road that the manufacturer will still be around just in case something goes wrong, or if you just want the reel serviced. You will have better chance of replacing any parts due to wear and tear.

Being in the industry, I still see a lot of older trout reels being used. Today, I spun a new line onto a customer's 90's Ross Cimmaron. I noticed that his clicker pawl was really worn. Since I had some spare pawls, I replaced it. Ross sends me spare pawls to do just that. I have a lot of customers bring in old Abel TRs, Ross Gunnisons, Marayats, Hardy FWs, Orvis Battenkills, and Orvis CFOs regularly to get respooled.

MP
Old 11-29-2009, 06:21 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I have owned and still own a few cheaper reels for reasons that very. The main trouble I have found is that you get some that the drag adjust its self.
I bought a new rod awhile back and didnt have enough cash to get a good reel so I picked up a cheaper one to use, the second time I had it out the drag would either tighten or loosen on its own. The trouble with it isnt fighting a fish, when you go to strip line off the reel its so damn tight you cant hardly get any line or so loose it backlashes. The last time I had it out I had to adjust the drag 7-8 times in just a few hours. I have had a coupe of these reels in the past and they were fine reels as far as cheap reels go, but this one is a pain in the A$$.
just somehting to think about.
Bear
Old 11-29-2009, 08:45 PM

jugshead00 is on a distinguished road

Thanks everyone your help was great.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:38 PM

kimba007 will become famous soon enough

for fishin small fish you dont need drag so just buy the cheapest RUST-PROOF reel
Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I used a little Cahill Cyrtal River plastic reel for a long time on my 7'6" 4wt. It
weighed 3oz, was $12, and held line. The drag went bad after a while, and
it occassionally jammed. I bought an Orvis BBS reel, and not long after went
fishing for bluegills. I hooked into the channel cat below, and that reel was
Singing
Click the image to open in full size.

I wear a size 13 shoe, so judge its size by that. You can see the little Green
Weenie in the fish's lip. Way better than even a dozen bluegills....

There are some dandy inexpensive reels out there. Martin's Mohawk River
comes to mind. You'd be surprised at what you get for $60.