The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default PEAK Rotary Fly Tying Vise.Advice

Hi I'm going to order a new vise to Santa Claus(my wife) so I don't want to get a very expensive one.Any opinions about this one:PEAK Rotary Fly Tying Vise.Thanks for your help.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PEAK Rotary Fly Tying Vise.Advice

JP: I bought a Peak Rotary vise on Ebay about a year ago and love it.

Larry
Old 11-29-2009, 05:13 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

The Peak Rotary Vise is the only vise any serious American fly tier should ever use. It is 100% Made in the USA and comes in under $200 by a good bit for a complete package (as shown above). It has been rated the #1 true rotary vise under $200 several times by various magazines and organizations. And it will improve your fly tying, your fishing prowess, and your attractiveness to the opposite sex. I only wish I had discovered the Peak Rotary Vise sooner. My Peak Rotary Vise has saved my life at least 3 times. And it makes cappuccino!

Ken Morrow, Peak Pro Tying Team

P.S. The first half of that is all true.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 11-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
The Peak Rotary Vise is the only vise any serious American fly tier should ever use. It is 100% Made in the USA and comes in under $200 by a good bit for a complete package (as shown above). It has been rated the #1 true rotary vise under $200 several times by various magazines and organizations. And it will improve your fly tying, your fishing prowess, and your attractiveness to the opposite sex. I only wish I had discovered the Peak Rotary Vise sooner. My Peak Rotary Vise has saved my life at least 3 times. And it makes cappuccino!

Ken Morrow, Peak Pro Tying Team

P.S. The first half of that is all true.
Ken: That was great, I'm still laughing!

Larry
Old 11-29-2009, 05:47 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

I've heard lots of good things about the Peak vises, and used one a couple times at our local shop. I haven't heard any complaints, and would buy one if I needed another vise.

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 11-29-2009, 07:50 PM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I couldn't resist. It's my birthday and I'm a notorious smart-aleck.

But I really am on the Peak Tying Team. And I really do think that if you want an awesome true rotary that won't break the bank and is 100% made in the USA by a 100% American-owned company, you can get everything you want in a Peak vise.

Couple of pointers: if you tie a lot of flies smaller than a 16, you need to get the midge jaws right off the bat. But if your idea of a saltwater fly, salmon/steelhead fly, or pike/musky fly doesn't get bigger than a 2/0, you don't actually NEED the saltwater jaws. They're nice, but not necessary until you get bigger than 2/0. The pedestal base is the best I've ever seen. It is rock solid, slim profile, very heavy, and large enough to prevent ALL tipping. Finally, if you have a significant other of the opposite sex, get the waste material basket! It's a serious relationship enhancement.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 11-29-2009, 08:24 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Peak owner for 3 years. I cannot see how I lived without this vise! It's
all that, and then some. Built like a tank, but not bulky, nor do any of the
arms get in the way. I bought mine from an ebay dealer (Gypsy Outdoors), and
he includes the brass tension screw for free. The D-Arm is well worth the
extra $7, and then some. I tie down to #20, and might get a set of midge
jaws. There only $35 .

Call the Peak people, and you'll get an idea of who is making this vise. The
first time I called, they asked what I'd like to see changed or improved. How
many companies do that???? I really couldn't think of anything. I'm sitting
next to mine right now, and just gave the rotating arm a good shake. Zero
play, and the base keeps it sitting firmly on the desk. The Peak has a 3/8"
hole in the base plate, and a 3/8" rod can be installed to hold lights, and
a magnifying lens. I use it for the lens that Peak sells, and can't see how I've
lived without that as well. I bought a 2"x3/8" clevis pin to hold the len: the
clevis pin was $2, and Peak charges quite a bit more for their 3/8" rod.....

Oh Yeah.... I used to look at all the different vises available to man before
buying the Peak, but haven't so much as Googled "Vise" since.

EDIT Here's Ken: http://www.peakfishing.com/TyingDemos.html
When I bought my Peak, Al Ritt was the featured tyer, so things seem to
be moving along nicely.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:51 PM

idahoflyfisher is on a distinguished road

I just got my Peak non-rotary vise and it is GREAT. I got it off ebay for ~$80 and tied up a boat load of steely flies this thanksgiving when i was home. It is built like a rock and couldn't be more happy with it.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Hey guys thanks a lot for your help...I think I'm going to order one right now
Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 AM

idahoflyfisher is on a distinguished road

jbb you won't be disappointed. Tell us what you think when you get some fly time with it.