The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 10:34 PM

kimba007 will become famous soon enough
Default SA sharkskin

ive seriously been thinkin about savin up money for the ultimate trout taper line, but is it really woth it? does anyone use it. BTW i like the noise of makes so dont worry about that point.

JUst lookin for anybodys words of wisdom or opinions.

thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SA sharkskin

I have the GPX (1/2 size heavier in the front) and the Trout..and the SS spey line....IT'S A TERRIBLE LINE all the way around, he, he, he.

It is my favorite. All the hype is true, it cast beautifully, farther, I am able to put the fly where I want it. It is the neatest thing since sliced bread seriously.

By the way, The GPX is nice with wind, you may want to consider that. For me, anything the Trout can do the GPX can plus as I mentioned, punch through wind.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Sharkskin GPX with my 5 weight Z-Axis. I also have a Sharkskin Ultimate Trout Taper that I sometimes use with my 6 weight Z-Axis.

The selling points of the Sharkskin line are:
  • it floats higher
  • it casts further
  • and lasts longer

The first two are true only if the line is cleaned more often than some other lines. Dirt and other garb can be picked up in the texture of the line. This will cause the line not to shoot as efficiently, and it won't float quite as well.

Another thing I like about the line is that it is easier to pick up off the water since there less surface area touching the water surface film.

In regards to the longevity of the line, it remains to be seen. I got about 200 fishing days with my last Rio Grand. I'm on day three of my Sharkskin GPX and day "I don't know" of my Ultimate Trout Taper.

Keep in mind that there are several different tapers of Sharkskin.
  • Ultimate Trout Taper - It is a good all around trout line and can be used with a variety of flies. It is best used with medium to medium fast rods. If you have a faster rod, upline the line or use a Sharkskin GPX.
  • GPX Taper - This is a good all around line for fast action rods. Its line weight is uplined by half a line weight.
  • Magnum Taper - This line was designed for throwing big flies. It is popular with the bass crowd. It is also popular with trout fishermen throwing streamers off of a drift boat. The line is uplined by half a line weight.
  • Steelhead Taper - This is a long bellied line designed for the rigors of Steelheading. It makes a great nymphing line.

Since you are past the noise thing, here is a negative. The texture of the line can create a line burn under your finger from hard stripping or a fish deciding to take your line. Use stripping guards if you feel that you need to do so.

MP
Old 11-30-2009, 09:59 AM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

I've cast them only and parking lots and everything they say seems to be true- I can cast a ton farther using Sharkskin, even without hauling or anything. The only thing I've noticed is it tends to abraid my fingers, which really wouldn't be an issue except on cold, blustery days when my hands are chapped anyway. Just wear gloves.

If I had the money, I'd probably get one. But I'm aching to build a couple new rods first : )

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

I've cast them only and parking lots and everything they say seems to be true- I can cast a ton farther using Sharkskin, even without hauling or anything. The only thing I've noticed is it tends to abraid my fingers, which really wouldn't be an issue except on cold, blustery days when my hands are chapped anyway. Just wear gloves.

If I had the money, I'd probably get one. But I'm aching to build a couple new rods first : )

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 11-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Worth repeating....he, he, he
Old 11-30-2009, 10:34 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've only lawn cast the SS line. It was on very wet grass, and I was amazed
at how well it roll cast on that surface. Having said that, $100 is $100. I have
a lot of reels, and my wife and son use them as well. I'm pretty ectastic over
SA's GPX already, so.....

BTW: My wife and I were casting off a floating pier last year, and one of the
rail joints opened and then closed, cutting a SA HeadStart line in half! The
rail joint was so tight, I didn't even notice that it was there. The line was on
sale for $20, so it was a less expensive lesson. Imagine if that happened with
a $100 line .
Old 11-30-2009, 03:20 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

I, too, have been considering sharkskin and the one item I have heard is that it rubs your finger a little raw when stripping (more than other fly lines). Is this a truth as well?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:45 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamanglerx View Post
I, too, have been considering sharkskin and the one item I have heard is that it rubs your finger a little raw when stripping (more than other fly lines). Is this a truth as well?
It can, especially if you strip in the tender skin at the crease of a knuckle joint.
I learned to rotate where on the hand I strip the line and that seemed to solve the issue.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:17 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Fished yesterday using it. It was cold and it didn't cut, wear, abraid etc. etc. my finger. Girly man hands can be toughen'd up by constantly fishing with it.
BTW, I have one I've street casted, used it in mossy water, never cleaned it and it still shoots and floats. That's my 5w line. The 4w I clean constantly. Just an experiment. Doesn't seem to make a difference whether or not it's cleaned.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:52 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Ditto's to what others say. There have been other threads in the lines area on this site..

If you are streamer fishing you might wear a glove. I gave people a hard time about girly hands but I actually cut myself trout fishing with double wollybuggers one day. This was after about 2 hours catching and releasing and stripping..

My biggest bad was to not look at all the tapers. I got the trout but now wish I would have looked at the GPX or Stealhead or even the Magnum. Belly for roll cast on these 3 I believe are far better than the Trout that I got.

I just wish they made the Stealhead or Magnum in 4 and 5 wt.

Good luck
Critter