The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   straight leaders for nymphing? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/118512-straight-leaders-nymphing.html)

jpd5184 03-25-2011 11:24 AM

straight leaders for nymphing?

i have heard tapered leaders are bad for nymphing. is a straight leader a better option?

lancer09 03-25-2011 11:27 AM

Re: straight leaders for nymphing?

I have not had any problems with a tapered leader, in fact I prefer it. If I snag and break off I just want to lose that smallest piece instead of potentially the entire leader.

Hardyreels 03-25-2011 11:56 AM

Never heard that one, a level leader is good when you are fishing streamers and looking for big fish with heavy flies but for a little nymph being fished in traditional style............Tapered

Could be the information was regarding fishing the nymph beneath a bobber / indicator, I can not see where a tapered leader would have any advantage when used this way.

Ard

jpd5184 03-25-2011 12:16 PM

i believe it was about indicator fishing.

they said that a tapered leader will create more drag than a level leader.

mikel 03-25-2011 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 230172)
Never heard that one, a level leader is good when you are fishing streamers and looking for big fish with heavy flies but for a little nymph being fished in traditional style............Tapered

Could be the information was regarding fishing the nymph beneath a bobber / indicator, I can not see where a tapered leader would have any advantage when used this way.

Ard

I think you're right, Ard. I'll nymph under an indicator with straight fluoro, unless I think there might be dry fly opportunity during the day. If I think there will be a hatch I'll fish a tapered leader just so I can change up quickly.

-Mike

Hardyreels 03-25-2011 12:31 PM

Drag may be splitting hairs but if I were an Indi fisherman I would run 8 pound fluorocarbon to the bobber and loop to loop a tippet from there to the fly. This would make things simple in the event of a snag. The leader loop will break but you will still have the loop on the heavier line. You could be carrying leader sections with pre tied loops in different lengths (for depth control) and replacing a tippet would be fairly painless...............

Ard

dhayden 03-25-2011 01:28 PM

For me, using tippet instead of a tapered leader is just cheaper.

I have a really small swivel at the end of my butt section, I'll either attach the indicator there, or slide it down for shallow water.

Tie on 6' (or so) of 3x, blood knot 2' of 4x - tie on the fly. If I need weight, I put them above the blood knot. so they don't slip. (for Steelhead, I go up one size for both)

it's probably 25 cents or less for the 'leader' vs $4 - lol - yes I'm cheap

goofnoff2 03-25-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpd5184 (Post 230151)
i have heard tapered leaders are bad for nymphing. is a straight leader a better option?

Like just about everything else it depends.

There are at least three important things you are trying to accomplish with a nymphing presentation. You want as drag free afloat as is possible. You want the nymph o get down to the feeding level as soon as possible. You want as little slack as possible so you can detect strikes. Whether high sticking or fishing upstream, a level leader would help with all these things.

HuronRiverDan 03-25-2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhayden (Post 230194)
For me, using tippet instead of a tapered leader is just cheaper.

I have a really small swivel at the end of my butt section, I'll either attach the indicator there, or slide it down for shallow water.

Tie on 6' (or so) of 3x, blood knot 2' of 4x - tie on the fly. If I need weight, I put them above the blood knot. so they don't slip. (for Steelhead, I go up one size for both)

it's probably 25 cents or less for the 'leader' vs $4 - lol - yes I'm cheap

I rig up similar to dhayden, with one exception, I have a loop on the end of a tapered butt system. I can loop on a longer piece of 2 or 3x flouro then a triple surgeons knot to attach my tippet. Work for indi fishing or high sticking for me...

Dan