The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default First Rainbow Trout Expedition

Well my family went up to Arizona for Thanksgiving break, and my dad said, "find something to do cause you know the girls are gonna shop one day." so my immediate response is, lets fish!

We went to Oak Creek in Sedona, man it was freezing! The guide had to teach my dad a little bit at first so standing around I got cold, FAST! We used a 5wt with a coyote clouser, and a 4wt with a nymph rig.

It was two miles of hiking, through the waters, and it wasn't til our last half mile stretch did we get any fish!

Click the image to open in full size.

He told me most people who come in saying "they taught themselves" need a lot more practice than they think, but he said i was golden from the beginning, so thank you all for all the tips on that!

I asked a lot of questions and feel like the guide taught me a lot on this trip! I'm so glad I got the chance to take this trip, would've been nice if i got a wild trout just to see the real color of the trout, I'm happy nonetheless!

And here is a thanks to my pops!
Never really fished other than with a guide throwing the bait out for us, so this was a real experience for him!

---------- Post added at 08:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

Oh, i forgot to mention! my pops got my Hanukkah present early. A ZeroGravity saltwater 8wt rod! We got it for 40% off because of black friday, and because we had our guided trip with the resaler, The Hook Up (defiantly got a few shirts and hats :P ) so we got it for right under $400!
Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Rainbow Trout Expedition

Congratulations, it looks like you two had a blast!

I'm hoping to get out that way and fish some of those waters in 2010, if all goes according to plan : )

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 11-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! Looks like you both had a great time and thanks for posting the great trip report.

Larry
Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

MikeyBob,

It is gratifying to read that you believe the tips and encouragement you received here on this forum helped you adapt on the water. That is about the best feedback we can get here.

Ard
Old 11-30-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_gypsy View Post

I'm hoping to get out that way and fish some of those waters in 2010, if all goes according to plan : )
Go with The Hook Up if you want a guided! If you have any intentions of buying a rod of any sort, they give you 20% off anything flyfishing related in the store, and when we were hesitating to buy it at 30%(original black friday price) off, they went up to 40% off!) they said if there was something else i wanted specific they could order it for me and send it my way! The guide was real cool, and very patient with my pops for learning. He gave us a lot of history of the city, and took us to a "non-guided" area when we were getting skunked at first. The guy was probably 26, and the best guide my dad and I have yet to encounter!

I really can't stress to you how great their service was!

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
MikeyBob,

It is gratifying to read that you believe the tips and encouragement you received here on this forum helped you adapt on the water. That is about the best feedback we can get here.

Ard
I'd be all wrist if it wasn't for this forum! haha
Old 12-01-2009, 02:20 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
MikeyBob,

Ard
That's why I like the site! doesn't get better than this does it?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:51 AM

flyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of lightflyguy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_gypsy View Post

Give me a shout about your dates and plans when you get closer. If I'm around and you can get over to the Gila Wildnerness, I'll be glad to show you some serious backcountry trout.
UPSTREAM, publisher
Fly Fishing News, columnist
Old 12-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Mike- way to go.

And congrats on the 8 weight- keep an eye out for fly swaps-- lot's of them going on you should jump in on if you have the time.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats ,looks like you had great fun while the girls were using your credit cardby the way are you sponsored by Orvis?
Old 12-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Congrats ,looks like you had great fun while the girls were using your credit cardby the way are you sponsored by Orvis?
not yet...

but i was really stunned with how great the service was! my dad and i are used to old men at the coast cursin at us for not understanding their mumbling! i guess its a big difference you'll see when you cross over from the conventional rod and reel at the coast where fish are unlimited, to the delicate art of fly fishing. i'll still use the conventional rod and reel any day, but i've learned a little more respect for the fish