The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 AM

grgerman is on a distinguished road
Default Which Renzetti, 4000 or Traveler?

I am going to buy a new vice and cannot decide between the Renzetti 4000 Presentation or the Traveler for over $200 less.

Just playing around with the display models in a local shop, the 4000 rotation seemed a lot smoother than the Traveler rotation. This was most noticable when applying a little tension to the rotation locking device.

Does anyone have experience with these two vises? If so, is the 4000 worth the extra $$ and what am I really getting for the extra $$?

Thanks,

Trout Bum
Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Which Renzetti, 4000 or Traveler?

I have been using a Traveler since 1994. They will hold a #20 dry fly hook and I tie all my salmon flies using it. Prior to owning it I had worked on a Thompson 'A' and a Thompson '360* A' the Traveler took some getting used to but now it is hard to work with out it.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:56 AM

grgerman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have been using a Traveler since 1994. They will hold a #20 dry fly hook and I tie all my salmon flies using it. Prior to owning it I had worked on a Thompson 'A' and a Thompson '360* A' the Traveler took some getting used to but now it is hard to work with out it.

On the Renzetti web site they state the Traveler and 4000 will tie on hooks down to 28. Do you think this is doable with the standard jaws or are midge type jaws required?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have only the standard jaw. I could safely say that even after the hundreds of big irons I've put through it, it'll still hold a very small hook.

If you are really serious I can find a #24 - 28 and give it a shot. Hang on and I'll do just that............

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Mustad #94842 size 24 no problem.

I just clamped it in, if I adjust the cam I know it will tighten up but it holds well enough to tie on as is. I have my jaw set to hold salmon hooks 1.5 and up. Smart money, hope you get a good deal.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 AM

afishinado is on a distinguished road

FYI, I've owned a Traveler for over 15 years and tied thousands of flies from bass bugs to size #30 midges, and it works as well now as the day I bought it. HTH, which ever you choose, good luck with your Renzetti.

Last edited by afishinado; 12-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:02 AM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I have the 4000, my husband has the traveler. Both are great. What ever you use, be it a vise grip pliers or the top of the line vise, get what makes you happy. You're the one using it, and it's got to be fun!!
<the vise grips are not good for smaller than a 20! easier to stick the hook point in to a tree branch and tye from there!>
Old 12-02-2009, 09:05 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I've had the 4000 for about 15 years too. It's a great vise in my opinion but then the fly shop my wife got it from for me at Christmas was great at upselling... I requested the Traveler for a gift!
If I had to decide between the two choices you gave I would pick neither. I would take a good, hard look at the newer Presentation 2000
Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi grgerman,

I agree with Jackster, if you are looking at the Rensetti line I would choose the 2000.

You should not pass over the Peak vise either.

Frank

Peak Vise
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

The Peak vise rotates much more smoothly than the Traveler. I don't
have any experience with the 4000.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:53 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Last Christmas my wife & daughter went to a local sporting goods store to pick me out a new vise for christmas. they obviously were like " Babes in the woods" because the salesman talked them into a Renzetti Master. I would not have paid that much for a vise myself but I couldn't return a gift ( heh heh)... I love the vise & it's versitality, so far it has performed perfectly on flies from 28 to 4/0 saltwater stuff. Ck out the vise & compare it. I partically like the head adjustmant capability. i know this one will be the last vise I ever get..
P.S. I did go to the store & thank my buddy who works there.........