The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM

dave27615 is on a distinguished road
Default Slow action rods ...

In reading through my copy of Joe Brooks "Complete Book of Fly Fishing" (1958) ... it's interesting that he recommends the slow action rod for everything short of 100 pound and over fish.

"Gradually, over the years for all types of fly fishing, I have gone to the slow action rod. Once you master the timing, you have greater ease in casting, greater delicacy of presentation and it is easier to handle the line and fly in the water."

In speaking of a 9.5 foot slow action rod Joe says, " ...the bigger outfit makes for much easier casting and allows the angler to get the lure out with only one, or at most, two false casts. With a stiff action rod and these big wind resistant lures, it would be difficult to get distance without a great deal of false casting and the angler's arm would be worn out at the end of the day."

He says it again in the next couple of paragraphs that the slow action rod excels at distance casting for big wind resistant flies. Odd that all I hear now-a-days is you need a stiff rod to generate line speed and distance.

I just thought it was interesting ....
Old 03-25-2011, 11:28 PM

rickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nicerickf is just really nice
Default Re: Slow action rods ...

All the old rods were "slow" action. All the cheap rods are all slow and heavy.
Now Brooks only uses a super light fast rod.
Slow and fast are only things the old timers talk about. Just like the old flies, Mickey Finn, whatever?
The best rods are the lightest rods. They just happen to be thin and fast!!
IMHO!!
Old 03-26-2011, 12:14 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave27615 View Post
He says it again in the next couple of paragraphs that the slow action rod excels at distance casting for big wind resistant flies. Odd that all I hear now-a-days is you need a stiff rod to generate line speed and distance.
Dave,
The interesting thing is that many fly fishers are purposely slowing down their fast rods in order to take full advantage of leverage from the butt of the rod to throw big heavy wind resistant flies. Mr. Brooks may have been onto something back in the day.

Umpqua Feather Merchants fly designer, Charlie Bisharat, uses a 9 weight Sage Xi3 with an 11 weight Rio Outbound Short to throw the his 5/0 Pole Dancer. Keep in mind an 11 weight ROS weighs 465 grains (basically a 13 weight line). I have seen Charlie cast that huge fly with that rig (its on video). His fast action Xi3 bends all the way to the grip.

I don't know where the practice of uplining two sizes for shooting heads came from. But that has become common practice. Maybe Riptide could shed some light on that. With modern rods being quicker, it just makes sense to put more of a bend in them to sling those huge flies.

MP
Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 AM

304rodco has a spectacular aura about304rodco has a spectacular aura about

In order to throw big, bulky or heavy flies I have to open the loop when I am casting. I am pretty sure I am not doing anything wrong - I also don't like to "Clouser" rod blanks. I have found slower rods to be much better for this kind of casting. Casting into the wind is a different story - forces you to close the loop.

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 AM

goofnoff2 will become famous soon enough

I cast Joe Brook's 9.5 footer at Rhine-Main AFB near Frankfurt Germany. He also used a 7.5 foot Orvis Midge for 5wt. Both were Battenkills The big rod weighed the better part of six ounces. Meeting him was pretty much the best thing that happened to me in the Army, short of rotating out of Nam.

Personally, I like the medium fast action that was provided by IM6 rods better than the biffo-stiffos. What I like, and a buck, will get you a cup of coffee.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:03 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Slow action rods ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I don't know where the practice of uplining two sizes for shooting heads came from. But that has become common practice. Maybe Riptide could shed some light on that. With modern rods being quicker, it just makes sense to put more of a bend in them to sling those huge flies.
Overlining has been pretty common around here since the graphite rod became popular. I don't think it's ever been routinely one or two line sizes. It's more like trying a few lines and seeing what works best. That may be the recommended size or it might be 3 or even more sizes heavier.

You want to be capable of punching out large, air resistant flies into the wind with a minimum of false casts. And that takes utilizing the full length and power of the rod to do it. Not just the tip but the meat of the rod right back to the cork.
As for shooting heads, they're just not that commonly used here in the east. We often need to cast in close as well as at a distance so the use of regular full length lines make more sense.

For trout fishing, I like slower rods as well, especially for fishing dries. Once you get the hang of the more relaxed rhythm, you'll wonder what you ever saw in your fast action broomstick.

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
All the old rods were "slow" action. All the cheap rods are all slow and heavy.
Now Brooks only uses a super light fast rod.
Slow and fast are only things the old timers talk about. Just like the old flies, Mickey Finn, whatever?
The best rods are the lightest rods. They just happen to be thin and fast!!
IMHO!!
Take the advice of someone that knows.... Don't drink and post
Old 03-26-2011, 12:46 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Feel free to correct me here, but I think Joe's comments may well have been tied to the rod building materials available at the time. Not a lot of choices (Cane, fibreglass, what-ever) back in 1958.

And if memory serves, Graphite rods didn't come onto the scene until the early 1980's.

fae
Old 03-26-2011, 01:49 PM

I know a guy that can cast an entire line through a shotgun shell hull. If you can cast correctly the material doesn't really make that big of a difference.

www.304rodcompany.com
Old 03-26-2011, 02:00 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Feel free to correct me here, but I think Joe's comments may well have been tied to the rod building materials available at the time. Not a lot of choices (Cane, fibreglass, what-ever) back in 1958.

And if memory serves, Graphite rods didn't come onto the scene until the early 1980's.

fae
The fast rods of today are a product of modern technology, but even back then rods came in different actions and quality. I have a late '50s Phillipson that would today be considered on the faster side of a medium, if not quite a med-fast.

IMO, Modern rods are built to be "fast" mostly because technology allows it, not necessarily because fast action rods are a better choice as a fishing tool.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:03 PM

"Fast" is pretty relative term. I assume that most people mean tip flex.

www.304rodcompany.com