The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 06:44 PM

wayland46 is on a distinguished road
Default landing net hook-ups

This season I had problems with the current twisting my net that was hanging in the "traditional" handle up position and actually loosened it to the point that the eye hook came free. Have seen pics of nets hanging in the handle down position on other fisherman's vests but have not seen nets advertised that show this type of hanging hardware installed. Am I missing something or have those nets been modified?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:05 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: landing net hook-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayland46 View Post
Am I missing something?
Zip ties?
Old 12-02-2009, 07:53 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

MayFly makes a magnetic net release accessory that allows one to hang the net handle up or handle down. It can be purchased from any specialty fly fishing store.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP
Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I second the May Fly™ Magnetic Net Release, does exactly as advertised. I think I paid about 24 dollars at Cabelas for mine.
Cabot
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I'll third that, I LOVE mine, best 25 bucks I have spent in awhile.
And with the handle down you dont have to worry about snagging the net up in brush or getting in the way of your waist pack if you use one.
Bear
Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use the magnetic latch sold under the Orvis label and with the help of a small black zip tie it mounts with the handle down and the net against my back. Works great.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

I too have the Orvis magnetic latch (about the best 26 bucks my wife has spent ). My net has an elastic chord loop on the handle so I did not need the zip tie.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:41 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using the magnetic thingy on the lip of the net, along with a
small diameter bungee for about 6 years. Love it! The bungee is attached to
the front of my vest, and I did get whacked once when the net caught a
branch.....

*Bungee is attached to the net's handle.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Are you hanging it with the handle down? I needed the little tie in the middle of the bow so I could hand it handle down.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-02-2009, 10:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ard,
If you're asking me that question, my handle is down. I don't know who made
the set-up I have, but it has a strap that holds the magnet to the net's
lip/bow, like MP's photo.