The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Need help choosing a new 8/9/10 wt rod. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/118897-need-help-choosing-new-8-9-10-wt-rod.html)

dave27615 03-26-2011 01:10 PM

Need help choosing a new 8/9/10 wt rod.

Howdy folks. The short version is, I'd like to try some surf casting during trips to the shore here in NC. If possible, I'd like to be able to use the same rig if I ever get to chase bonefish, permit etc ... somewhere exotic. It would also be used for bass etc... here at home.

I was originally looking at 8wt rods, but wasn't thinking about surf casting at the time and don't know if it would be enough or if I'd be better off with a 9 or 10 wt?

I haven't bought a fly rod in some time and there's a lot to choose from (maybe too much).

I'm looking for a decent rod in the $200 range and have specifically been looking at the Winston Passport, the Echo Ion and the Elkhorn Traveler or Nomad.

If anyone has an opinion on which of those they like best, I like to hear it. Of course, if you have a better suggestion, I'd like to hear that as well.

Thanks in advance.

randyflycaster 03-26-2011 02:23 PM

Re: Need help choosing a new 8/9/10 wt rod.

I'd certainly go with something fast for the surf, probably a 9-weight. If you can check out the rods, see which one you think looks the best.

Also, for your price range I'd consider buying a used rod, like a St. Croix Ultra Legend. It has a lot of power.

Randy

Vans 03-26-2011 02:38 PM

For X-mas, my wife bought me a TFO NXT 8/9wt combo as a winter Steelhead rod. Unfortunately beyond some practice casting i havent been able to get it on the water.

However, for the price point of the combo, i really like the set up.

I know this isnt one of the brands you mentioned, but it is the only one in that weight range i have personal experience with casting and it fits your price range.

cattech89 03-26-2011 02:48 PM

Hi Dave. I can't comment on the rods you mentioned but I thought Id give you another option. A product I was happy with. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...9wt-setup.html

dave27615 03-26-2011 03:49 PM

Appreciate the feedback. While Googleing around I also came across the TFO BVK rods that seem to be getting a lot of good reviews ...

Rip Tide 03-26-2011 03:51 PM

I'm not going to comment on brands, but I use a 8wt in the surf 80% of the time. A 10wt the rest. I like a 10 footer or better as the longer length is more capable of mending over the breaking waves. In non surf situations, a 9 footer is preferred . Because I overline my 8wts with 9 and 10wt lines, I'm able to cast the flies used for surf fishing.
I use a 10wt mostly when the wind is up over 20 MPH to punch out heavy sinking lines.

ssmith 03-26-2011 04:49 PM

I know nothing about surf casting other then you need a longer rod to make life a little easier, but I do bass fish. Personally I wouldn't want longer then a 9' rod for most of the lakes I fish here in chicagoland. I, usually, fish from shore and anything longer would be a pain as there is lots of cover where I fish so 9'6 or 10' would cause issues. On a boat longer would probably not be so bad though. The TFO combo mentioned earlier would be my choice for bass here from the options given, but like I said I don't know surf so I'm not sure how well it would work for that.

wjc 03-27-2011 11:16 AM

Only you can determine which rod is best for you, and only by casting it. A ten foot rod is too long for my strength in a 10 wt. for sure, and I'd wear down quickly with that length in a 9 wt. most likely. That is with full length WF lines.

There is a point at which the haul ,when carrying long overhang, will overload the casting arm. If you feel that your casting wrist is not able to execute a "power snap" at the end of the cast on the length cast you would be satisfied with, then I would drop down in rod length.

Using shooting heads, this is not so much an issue, and with two handed rods it is not applicable at all.

Cheers,
Jim

russellb 03-27-2011 01:50 PM

If surf casting is the dominant use it will certainly drive the length issue. My 10wt is a Thomas and Thomas striper rod and it measures 9 1/2 and works great for most situations outside of a surf type trip. For me, having spent way more time on flats or boat fishing in the mangroves a rod beyond 9 1/2 foot would become problematic from a wind resistance issue and actually my preferred length would become 9ft and I would make due if on a surf type trip.

As for brands I would be surfing eBay and see what a Sage RPL, RPLX or RPLXI is going for in a 9ft 9wt. These are great rods and even an early RPL, I would certainly consider this option over an entry level modern rod. My "vintage" Sage rods cast every bit as good as my new ones and in some cases they are nearly as light. For instance my 790 RPL is 3 1/8th oz

wjc 03-27-2011 05:15 PM

Russell,

Actually the older hi end Sages are considerably lighter than the new high end sages.

For example, my 9 (nine) wt RPLX (salt water version) is 3/16th oz LIGHTER than my 7 wt (seven weight) TCX saltwater version. Fly rods are getting heavier not lighter with the new technology. The 790 TCX weights 3 15/16ths oz. the RPLX 990 weights 3 3/4 oz.

Joan Wulff complained about this from a woman's perspective in an interview with Ally Gowans. Fiberglass was supposed to be lighter than bamboo, but before the manufacturers were done with it it was heavier. Same with graphite composites. They keep promising us lighter but making heavier.

But weight isn't everything either.

Cheers,
Jim