The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Invasive Species Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/118927-invasive-species-discussion.html)

cattech89 03-26-2011 02:22 PM

Invasive Species Discussion

It seems that didymo has has been coming up in my conversations and in threads that Ive been reading more and more and more. To me, since this is quickly becoming a topic that we are all affected by, whether we like it or not, there should be one central location that we can discuss the latest developments.
Thoughts? Good Idea, Yes, No?

troutslayer 03-26-2011 07:38 PM

re: Invasive Species Discussion

We could but it's a mute issue here in Maryland. THE DNR pased a law making felt soled waders illegal as of March 21st. They are giving warnings this year because they passed the law without passing what fines would be assessed. Starting in 2012 they will give citations if you have felt soled bottoms. They have found didymo in one of the rivers I fish in, the lower Savage River in Western Maryland. I find the bootom/stockingfoot wader combo more comfortable than the boot/wader combo but I had just bought a pair of Orvis waders with felt soled bottoms a couple of years ago. I fish Pennsylvania as well and they are still legal up there.

dryfly87 03-26-2011 11:23 PM

A lot of broken body parts in our future.

cattech89 03-27-2011 04:44 AM

After thinking about this through the night I realized that the thread was probably a little unneccessary. Ill probably have one of the mods delete it.
Thanks for your input guys.

milt spawn 03-27-2011 10:35 PM

Maybe a thread about all invasives would be better, not just limited to didymo. And felt soles and waders are not the only way these species are transported. There are quagga mussels, NZ mud snails, eurasian milfoil, etc... that threaten fisheries all over and any enlightenment couldn't hurt. milt.

vivid2012 03-28-2011 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milt spawn (Post 231610)
Maybe a thread about all invasives would be better, not just limited to didymo. And felt soles and waders are not the only way these species are transported. There are quagga mussels, NZ mud snails, eurasian milfoil, etc... that threaten fisheries all over and any enlightenment couldn't hurt. milt.

Yup, an invasives thread? Sounds cool.

gadfly_nj 03-28-2011 01:56 AM

Great idea. We should all try to stay informed and this could be a big help.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

troutslayer 03-28-2011 08:40 AM

Could be a good idea. Maryland DNR is not certain that it is carried through felt soles but sure enough to take steps to try to control the spread. Based on their expertise they have to try. Not a lot of anglers happy with it because of the additional costs to re- buy waders but what can you do? Hopefully it will turn out to be at least part of the solution. The river that is affected here, as I said in a previous post, is the lower Savage River, the tailwaters of the Savage River Dam. Alll browns and brookies are naturally reproducing and no stocking is done there. If the didymo covers all the bug life on the bottom of the river, then the fish have nothing to eat and it will become an empty river. I'm not an expert in these matters but if it will help stop the spread of this, then I'm in. (I did just order some new stockingfoot waders, used to have felt sole bood/wader combo. Now I have the lug sole with the cleats as well) Glad I still had some Christmas gift money left over!

Rip Tide 03-28-2011 10:29 AM

It occurred to me the other day that with all the talk about didymo, I hadn't heard anything recently about whirling disease and I was wondering if it wasn't the issue that it was 15-20 years ago.

Harmful Aquatic Hitchhikers: Others: Whirling Disease

Whirling Disease and Colorado's Trout - Colorado Division of Wildlife

http://www.lake-link.com/images/angl...ease-cycle.gif

cattech89 03-28-2011 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milt spawn (Post 231610)
Maybe a thread about all invasives would be better, not just limited to didymo.

I was kicking around that idea Milt. Thanks for the kick in the right direction.