The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 02:22 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Invasive Species Discussion

It seems that didymo has has been coming up in my conversations and in threads that Ive been reading more and more and more. To me, since this is quickly becoming a topic that we are all affected by, whether we like it or not, there should be one central location that we can discuss the latest developments.
Thoughts? Good Idea, Yes, No?

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...

Last edited by cattech89; 03-28-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Thread title change for a broader discussion....
Old 03-26-2011, 07:38 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default re: Invasive Species Discussion

We could but it's a mute issue here in Maryland. THE DNR pased a law making felt soled waders illegal as of March 21st. They are giving warnings this year because they passed the law without passing what fines would be assessed. Starting in 2012 they will give citations if you have felt soled bottoms. They have found didymo in one of the rivers I fish in, the lower Savage River in Western Maryland. I find the bootom/stockingfoot wader combo more comfortable than the boot/wader combo but I had just bought a pair of Orvis waders with felt soled bottoms a couple of years ago. I fish Pennsylvania as well and they are still legal up there.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 03-26-2011, 11:23 PM

dryfly87 is on a distinguished road

A lot of broken body parts in our future.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:44 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

After thinking about this through the night I realized that the thread was probably a little unneccessary. Ill probably have one of the mods delete it.
Thanks for your input guys.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:35 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe a thread about all invasives would be better, not just limited to didymo. And felt soles and waders are not the only way these species are transported. There are quagga mussels, NZ mud snails, eurasian milfoil, etc... that threaten fisheries all over and any enlightenment couldn't hurt. milt.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:36 AM

vivid2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Maybe a thread about all invasives would be better, not just limited to didymo. And felt soles and waders are not the only way these species are transported. There are quagga mussels, NZ mud snails, eurasian milfoil, etc... that threaten fisheries all over and any enlightenment couldn't hurt. milt.
Yup, an invasives thread? Sounds cool.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 AM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Great idea. We should all try to stay informed and this could be a big help.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2011, 08:40 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Could be a good idea. Maryland DNR is not certain that it is carried through felt soles but sure enough to take steps to try to control the spread. Based on their expertise they have to try. Not a lot of anglers happy with it because of the additional costs to re- buy waders but what can you do? Hopefully it will turn out to be at least part of the solution. The river that is affected here, as I said in a previous post, is the lower Savage River, the tailwaters of the Savage River Dam. Alll browns and brookies are naturally reproducing and no stocking is done there. If the didymo covers all the bug life on the bottom of the river, then the fish have nothing to eat and it will become an empty river. I'm not an expert in these matters but if it will help stop the spread of this, then I'm in. (I did just order some new stockingfoot waders, used to have felt sole bood/wader combo. Now I have the lug sole with the cleats as well) Glad I still had some Christmas gift money left over!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 03-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It occurred to me the other day that with all the talk about didymo, I hadn't heard anything recently about whirling disease and I was wondering if it wasn't the issue that it was 15-20 years ago.

Harmful Aquatic Hitchhikers: Others: Whirling Disease

Whirling Disease and Colorado's Trout - Colorado Division of Wildlife

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milt spawn View Post
Maybe a thread about all invasives would be better, not just limited to didymo.
I was kicking around that idea Milt. Thanks for the kick in the right direction.