The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do You Carry a Good Knife When Fishing?

There's a knife sharpening thread in the "Lodge Den", so I thought this thread
could be interesting. I mostly carry two knives: a Victorinox folder, and a fixed blade Buck. I'll also carry a Schrade Uncle Henry if I think I might be cutting something that the little knife won't handle, but folders require two hands (except the assisted opening types).
Click the image to open in full size.

EDIT The Schrade did save a crow of some sort (I'm not a bird expert). We were paddling our canoe through some thick lily
pad waters in Lake Nockamixon a couple years ago, and heard the bird screeching like mad. He was tangle in someone's 30lb+ line,
so I paddle to shore to cut him loose. The bird went really nuts when he saw me, so I cut off the branch the line was tangled
around. That allowed me to move the whole show a few feet to a clear spot, and then get close enough to take a swipe at the
line wrapped around the bird's leg. He flew off like a rocket, and the leg didn't appear to be broken. I do try to cut away all the
bait chuckers line I encounter while fishing, and have had to cut my own leg free of some line a few weeks ago. I probably could have pulled myself free of that line, but why leave it for the next wader to deal with?

Last edited by FrankB2; 12-03-2009 at 12:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Carry a Good Knife When Fishing?

I carry a little pen knife similar to this one.
The scissors, tweezers, and 'hook hone' get a lot more use than the blade

Old 12-03-2009, 01:31 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

Nothing spectacular, but I picked up a slim little Swiss Army knife at an outlet store in Cody, Wyoming last summer, mostly just to clean fish streamside. However, it is really useful to have, particularly if I temporarily misplace nippers or other tools. And it has a bottle opener

I've used it a lot to cut line I've found, particularly the braided stuff snaggers use for suckers on some of our local trout streams. Last spring I tripped over about fifteen feet of braided line and was impaled by a big, nasty treble hook on a sandbar...that was enough to make me religious about picking up other people's garbage.

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 12-03-2009, 01:50 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

i carry a small folding knife similar to FrankB2 s bottom picture but its a bit smaller i carry it anytime i'm out fishing or camping i found you never know when it might be needed
Old 12-03-2009, 02:47 PM

blakejd will become famous soon enough

I carry an Opinel Knife whenever I'm out. Its such simple construction you have to love it and its light and cheap to replace.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:59 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I carry a Ed Van Hoy neck knife that I picked up earlier this year. This is also my hunting knife. The knife is light, sharp, and stays tucked out of the way when it is not needed.
Tuck
Old 12-03-2009, 03:01 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I carry a little pen knife similar to this one.
The scissors, tweezers, and 'hook hone' get a lot more use than the blade

This is exactly what I carry. If I'm going someplace that I might not feel 100% (yes, safety is an illusion), I might take my Cold Steel folding knife.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you mention this. We keep finding knives when we go out fishing. Seriously!
So I guess allot of people do carry them....LOL
Old 12-03-2009, 03:28 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I carry a needle nose Leatherman that has a wire cutter in the event I wind up with a hook stuck in me instead of a fish. So far I've been lucky. Cut wopped in the back of the head a few times by heavy buggers and have had my hat knocked off, but so far nothing has stuck.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Like Yat I have my Leatherman handy, it may not always be on my person (usually in the dry bag), but it's within reach if needed.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*