The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 05:40 AM

Zman3382 is on a distinguished road
Default Additional Furled Leader Questions

Hello. After reading through the posts on this site that come up through the search and reading what Ive found on the web, I was hoping I could get some answers to the below questions. Keep in mind I am very new to fly fishing and haven't done much of it as yet. I have, however, done way too much reading and over thinking for someone who's spent so little time waving a stick at amused fish

1 - How do you select a furled leader? Different companies / people have different rating systems.. some rate them per species, some per fly line weight, and some by lb breaking force.. very confusing for someone who still does not have a great understanding of tippet and leader selection to begin with.

2 - Does color of the leader matter as much? and when might different colors be appropriate?

3 - Does the size of the ring on the end of the leader matter as much? (2 mm vs 3mm vs just a loop..)

4 - How do the different construction materials of the leader affect its performance / castability / longevity etc?

5 - What knots are appropriate / ideal for attaching tippet to the ring on the end of the leader? and does using a furled leader affect the amount of tippet one should use?

6 - How do you choose length of leader when using a furled leader?

Thank you for taking the time to take a look at these questions. Again, Ive read through the posts that come up in search, and not found all of the answers Ive been curious about. Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers! - Zack
Old 12-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Additional Furled Leader Questions

Hi Zack,

We have some real experts here who will no doubt answer your questions. I hope they will also agree with me on this point.

Although new technologies (furled leaders) are useful and cool don't skip learning about tying your own leaders and all of the understanding of leaders that will come with actually trying to tie your own. I'm talking about single strand mono or fluoro leaders. Make sure you understand the taper of a leader and why they are constructed this way.

This is just basic knowledge for fly fishermen and women. Think of it as knowing how to navigate by compass before you buy a GPS, you never know when your batteries will die.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Zman3382 is on a distinguished road

Hi Hardy. Agreed. I seem to be able to find alot more information on traditional leaders when searching (though there are also questions i have about them) than on furled leaders though. Just trying to fill in some gaps!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When thinking leaders think physics, the design is simply about the transfer of the energy of the cast all the way to the fly. Unfurling of the line as it straitens on presentation is transmitted to the leader butt and subsequently to the tippet through the reduction of resistance as the material becomes more supple and fine.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-04-2009, 07:06 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman3382 View Post
Hello. After reading through the posts on this site that come up through the search and reading what Ive found on the web, I was hoping I could get some answers to the below questions. Keep in mind I am very new to fly fishing and haven't done much of it as yet. I have, however, done way too much reading and over thinking for someone who's spent so little time waving a stick at amused fish

1 - How do you select a furled leader? Different companies / people have different rating systems.. some rate them per species, some per fly line weight, and some by lb breaking force.. very confusing for someone who still does not have a great understanding of tippet and leader selection to begin with.

2 - Does color of the leader matter as much? and when might different colors be appropriate?

3 - Does the size of the ring on the end of the leader matter as much? (2 mm vs 3mm vs just a loop..)

4 - How do the different construction materials of the leader affect its performance / castability / longevity etc?

5 - What knots are appropriate / ideal for attaching tippet to the ring on the end of the leader? and does using a furled leader affect the amount of tippet one should use?

6 - How do you choose length of leader when using a furled leader?

Thank you for taking the time to take a look at these questions. Again, Ive read through the posts that come up in search, and not found all of the answers Ive been curious about. Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers! - Zack

I hit the quote button so I can go down your list.
To start with, I am going to say I agree with Hardy and I started and still make my own mono leaders (Frog Hair Kit)
A FURLED leader is very supple and you can CAST IT by itself with ease. Which means this is going to lay the tinyest flies delicately infront of spooky fish (provided the caster is capable, but they help all casters).

1. As far as sizing, I make a light for smaller fish (2 - 4 wt), a medium for bass and trout (4 - 6 wt) and heavy for (6 - 8). Adding one strand of Kevlar the leader will slowly sink, but the strength is very strong.
I have to post this picture of what I am talking about. I made leaders for this gentlemen and had no idea what he was after. He sent the pictures and a HUGE thanks:

Click the image to open in full size.

You tell me what you are fishing for and I will go to work.

2. Color I don't feel matters. But I do stick to earth tones. I do add the first section in a bright color for and indicator.

3. The ring size is determined by the size of tippet and the size of the leader. I use 2mm on my smaller and medium leaders. But 3mm on the 8 weights as the leader it self is bigger and covers more of the ring. Rings protect the leaders, specially thread leaders. The MONO tippet can cut the thread.

4. Material will determine the strength. If I were to use 3/0 thread instead of the 6/0 but the same wraps, the leader will be thicker diameter and stronger. Like I mentioned, add one strand of Kevlar will increase the strength of the leader dramatically.

5. I use a clinch knot, but tell people to just use the same knot they use to attach a fly to the tippet.

6. Choosing a length will depend on the water. I use shorter with longer tippet on spooky streams, but I also use longer leader (6') with at least 3' of tippet for larger rivers and still water, for the extra length

I hope this helped, just my take on furled leaders. Like a good line, it can make a bad caster better and a good caster great...;-)
Old 12-18-2009, 08:34 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Joni,
I got another question re furled leaders...

What are you using to keep them a float for top water action?

I've just started to make my own and a did some testing as to their floatability. They sink like a rock. I am using some polynylon that I had for rod building, but it did not do what I wanted it to do so I have been using it to make my furled leaders with (I got some 10,000yds of the stuff. I've got plently to practice making and testing with.)
Old 12-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

45, The thread once soaked will sink like a brick. I like Mucilin. You can get it at Fly Shops or if you have a Sportsman's Warehouse, they carry it.
It is a round container with a little pad in it. I just slide the leaders throw it and work the paste in. BUT, I always carry two. They can become water logged even with the floatant after awhile, so I switch out and let it dry out.
Old 12-26-2009, 08:11 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Joni,
Thanks. I'm waiting for the Mucilin to come in. I've tested 'Snow-Seal', and Loon Payette. They do quite well in my unscientific test.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:40 PM

enjaku is on a distinguished road

Ref: Keeping the leader afloat - I was in an Orvis store yesterday and the "fishing guy" said that you can buy a cheap can of silicon spray at the hardware store and just give the leader a light coat. He cautioned that it was important to wipe the excess off as it will leave a film on the water. Has anyone tried this?

eric
Old 12-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjaku View Post
Ref: Keeping the leader afloat - I was in an Orvis store yesterday and the "fishing guy" said that you can buy a cheap can of silicon spray at the hardware store and just give the leader a light coat. He cautioned that it was important to wipe the excess off as it will leave a film on the water. Has anyone tried this?

eric
Yes. I have and still do at times, use 3m spray like for furniture, the silicon spray for tents, the waterproofing for shoes. All of it. I don't really wipe it off but I do let them dry before I use them.
The problem is that with thread leaders, they will float very well for a long time, but if you are getting into allot of fish, they (just like a fly) can become water logged. Best treatment is to always carry two. When one gets water logged, switch to the other and let it dry.

My favorite floatant is still Mucilin. In a nice little plastic tin so to speak. Lay the leader in the wax like paste and put the included pad on top of the leader and pull. I then more or less rub the mucilin in. Sometimes put a little on the fly, or some on the tippet is I need it to float as well.