The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 10:08 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Opinions: rod/reel matchup

I've got a Pflueger Medalist 1494 1/2 DA that was left to me. Being that money is rather tight right now (as if it's not any other time raising a family ), I'm thinking of matching it to a TFO 9' 7wt, 4pc. I got a line on one for a good price. It would be used for a bass/light saltwater rod. Mostly bass on decent sized rivers.

Any opinions?
Old 12-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Opinions: rod/reel matchup

Sounds like a match to me Robert, I used that reel on an old 9'8wt Lamiflex Glass rod for pike and bass for many years.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It will work. Just remember to do some basic saltwater maintenance. After every outing, rinse the reel. From time to time, remove the line from the reel and let it soak to get any leftover salt and sand particles off the line.

Something that I dislike is the small spool diameter. If you have to reel in a fish or pull in slack line to put the fish on the reel, the retreival rate will be slow. Modern large arbor reels for 7 weights have spool diameters of 3.5" to 3.75".

Look on the bright side, you can always upgrade later.

Here's a hint. Tell everyone you know that you want gift cards to your local outfitter for Christmas. You'd be surprised how just a few gift cards can add up to be enough for you to do an upgrade on the reel.

MP
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Check my sig! I think these reels are the best you can get regardless of money. I have a 1494.5 that i used all summer on smallies and largemouth. No problems and it worked great! I have a Wf 9wt on a 1495 with 100 yards of backing for steelies. These reels are so simple there is literally nothing to break or wear out. They just keep working!
Old 12-08-2009, 03:45 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Thanx for the responses, guys.

Unfortunately, I let the 7wt go. It was about $75 shipped. I just thought too long on it. Christmas coming and all....not alot of cash to throw around. AND, there's always that nagging argument in my head about how much I'm REALLY gonna use it. Probably only a few times a year, if that.

I'll keep looking...the Medalist is still mine, though. Just needs a good rod.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:46 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't use a USA made Medalist in salt water
It's not that the reel can't handle it, it's just that they don't make those reels any more and to wreak one in the salt would be a shame.
I used Medalists in salt for 18 years before I broke down and got myself a disc drag, so I know that they can do.
It's just that I have so much respect for them that I couldn't bare to see one wreaked like that now a days.
If it's an imported reel.... go ahead.
They're the perfect reel to beat on and they can take it just as well as a classic USA made reel

You should think about matching that reel up with a vintage rod rather than getting something new.
They'll look good together, you'll spend less on the rod, and you'll have a chance to discover that there was a lot of quality rods back in the 'good old days'.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

I have both imported and American made medalists...as far as quality goes, i cannot tell them apart. Some people say otherwise, but i would like to know what they think is different. I say get a brand new one and leave the oldies to the collectors.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge View Post
I have both imported and American made medalists...as far as quality goes, i cannot tell them apart. Some people say otherwise, but i would like to know what they think is different. I say get a brand new one and leave the oldies to the collectors.
The reel foot is cast rather than forged (which some people feel is an improvement) and I remember seeing somewhere that the aluminum sheets that the imported reels are stamped from is a courser grain alloy. You can almost feel that they're not as 'solid'
And of course the the oldest Medalists had a metal ratchet rather than the plastic ones you see now
I've also heard people complain that their new reels weren't assembled correctly. That's an easy fix and not something I've experienced

The imported Medalists are a steal at $25. I use them all the time.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:53 PM

On a similar subject, what are your opinions concerning the TFO Lefty Kreh Professional? Would it be the same rod that I mentioned in the initial post?

Last edited by axle27; 12-09-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 12-09-2009, 08:22 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

If you are looking for a decent rod, not great, but decent at a good price the Scierra IC3 rods are on sale at cabelas. 9 ft 8 wt is $50 and is usually $150

Here is a link

If you have a cabelas close to you, ship it to the store, pick it up there, and there is no shipping fee

Dave