The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 02:41 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Who would you like to thank?

I did this quite a few years ago on another Board and it was well received.
The question is "Who would you like to thank for getting you into fly fishing, or for inspiring you to try it?"
I know we all admire many of the well known authors and presenters out there, but who was the possibly obscure person in your life that stirred the interest and possibly helped to feed what would become an addiction.
For me it was a combination of Dave Barry whom I mention in the sharing patterns section and my father Bill Pitt. Between them the magic was overpowering and I have been affected by it ever since.
Who would you like to thank?
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:09 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who would you like to thank?

I began flyfishing after reading Charles Ritz' book A Fly Fisher's Life. I'd like to thank you, because this thread reminded me to look for a copy
of that book. I haven't seen it in 30+ years. I was about 15 yrs old at the time.

Last edited by FrankB2; 12-04-2009 at 03:12 PM. Reason: z
Old 12-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

First I'd like to thank you all here for your friendly welcome on this forum,I never imagined I would meet such great people when I joined it
Then I'd like to think my old friend Jean who passed away long ago I'll always remember that sunday afternoon when I saw him for the last time at hospital...I saw in his eyes he knew it was the last time.We spent a great time together by the river...
Of course I'll mention Roland...the Fischmeister who tought me a lot,a great fisherman,sometimes a bit theatrical,but with a golden heart.His huge experience ,his sense of observation and his amazing technique make him an extraordinary fish catcher.
So thanks again
Old 12-04-2009, 03:24 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

i would like to thank my uncle he planted the seed that made me want to fly fish then everytime i went past a river and saw all the fly fishermen fishing it just made me want to try it and i loved to watch them so i would like to thank them and i would like to thank everyone her who have give me so much advise and help and have made me even more want to get out , thank you all so much

vince
Old 12-04-2009, 04:25 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

This past year was my first FF year. I first got interested when looking at FF equipment at a local store last year(always knew it was cool though). Who to thank? A lot of people. It would have to be members of my FF Club that give so much back to the sport. My first fly tying and fly casting classes were from our club members. Also, I would Thank our members on this forum for sharing all that they do, and for all that I have learned from them. This is a place with really good people.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:48 PM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

My best friend and best man Phill Gustamante; my mentor and patient friend Mark Pinski; my buddy and brother in arms Paul Meier and to Lefty who really showed me how to cast. All who have shown the patience, interest, passion, friendship, honesty and the common thrill of a job well done. I'll toast to you all tonight. Also to the many moderators here like Frank who have shared their many HARD EARNED AND LEARNED lessons to myself and everyone-to you all I am very grateful. May your days on the water be as fulfilling, enjoyable and profound.
Wishing You All a Merry Christmas Season,
Racine
Old 12-04-2009, 05:34 PM

fish_gypsy is on a distinguished road

Great thread!

My grandfather and my father, for instilling a passion for fishing in the first place.

Lee Wulff, Robert Traver, and Ernest Hemingway, for helping my mind mull and wander about fly fishing starting at a very young age.

All the regulars at my local fly shop. I like to say I'm a self taught angler and tier, but in reality- I wouldn't be half as good without their knowledge and assistance. Spending evenings at the shop as a teenager taught me a lot, not only about fishing and tying, but about life- to be selfless, how to be a good friend, and that adults can, in fact, be fallible

Those watchmen, those far-seeing individuals who make it possible for me to fish in the first place- from Teddy Roosevelt and Guifford Pinchot to the folks of Trout Unlimited and various fisheries biologists whose interests lie not only protecting fisheries so that I may pursue my finned quarry, but who are interested in preserving fishes simply because they exist, and that's enough.

Perhaps most importantly- Ever fish I've ever caught- from the ones I didn't know were there to the ones I earned through dilligent observation and careful presentation. I'm fascinated by fish, and I'm one of those that's just as easily amused watching a 20 inch cutthroat munch on spruce moths in an eddy as I am actually catching the thing. I've been amazed by all of them. Lots of people talk about "home waters," the places where they learned to fish.

The rivers, streams, and lakes I've fished. Truth is, it seems I learn something most every time I go out, and I couldn't pinpoint one particular place where I "learned to fish." I learned to cast on my grandfather's pond, I learned to appreciate smallmouth bass in the Boundary waters, I learned to appreciate wild trout on a tiny Ozark stream, I learned to appreciate native fishes and the value of a brook trout dinner in Yellowstone National Park. The rivers, and those who work to preserve and support them, should be thanked.

Sorry if that got a bit too abstract

http://www.fishgypsy.wordpress.com
Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Nope fish_gypsy, not abstract at all.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

First would be my mother and Grandfather because they had the gear and I got to use it, but My hubby got me into it with both feet. The tying, making the leaders, to now building the rods. He is my best friend, teacher, student, and partner.
Thanks MOjO
Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

My Father who fly fished. I wish I could talk him into doing it more now. He's 83 and in great shape. Other than him I have not had much in the way of fly fishing friends or relatives. I have lived in Minnesota for 15 years, and have not had a real fly fishing friend I could count on going fishing with me, till I ruined my Canadian friend. He's the amazing natural caster I talked about in other posts. This is his first year flyfishing and within a week could get the whole fly line out. If everyone I showed how to do it, could duplicate that, I would be the best instructor on the planet. But alas, he's the only one.