The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Making a loop on your Fly Line.

Hi Everyone,

I finally got time to add back the photos to the FAQ on how to make a loop in your fly line. The old photos were lost in the server switch. I couldn't find all of the photos and some of the photos are poor quality but usable, I hope. I learned this technique back in the 50's and has worked well for me.

I have copied the procedure here but it is also listed in the FAQ Techniques Forum. If I get a chance I will redo the photos to better quality with my new camera.

Frank

Here are directions on how to make a loop on the end of your fly line. This same process can be used to splice running line to a shooting head if you make one your self. I use to use it in the 50's to make a double taper silk line into two weight forward fly lines. This will work with lines up to 6wt or so. Any bigger and you need to lengthen the stripped area.

Step 1

Strip off the outer cover on the tip of the fly line for 5/8". You can soak the tip with Finger Nail Polish or Acetone and it makes the coating softer. I use the blade of my office scissors and don't use the Acetone. Once you have broken through the finish on one side of the line the rest of the finish will peal off. You can see there is a small tag left on the line that was not removed.

Click the image to open in full size.

Step 2

Take your fly tying scissors and cut off the tag that was not cleanly removed.

Step 3

You now have 5/8" of braided core exposed. Take a bodkin or needle and start to un-ravel the braided core. You need to work right next to the un-raveled braid so the bodkin will pull through the braid un-raveling more core. If you insert the bodkin too far from the un-raveled end you can't pull the bodkin through the braid. You will see what I mean when it happens. Don't force the bodkin. Just take it slow and easy.

Step 4

Continue to unravel the core until all of the exposed core is un-braided.

Step 5

Now bend over the line onto its self to form the size of loop you want. Mark the fly line at the spot on the main line that the un-braided core is laying next to. I mark the space with a black marking pen. The space should be 1/2' instead of 5/8" like the un-braided end of the line. When you lay the line straight again it will look like in this picture.

Step 6

Now you want to remove the outer cover on the main fly line like you did on the tip. It should look like this photo and be 1/2" wide.

Step 7

Now here is the tip of all tips. Make your loop again and press the tag end and main line together together with the two bare parts of the line together. The butt of the un-raveled end should be right over the front of the bare spot on the main line. Take a piece of Scotch Tape and fasten the two lines together. Now you don't have to worry about the tag end and the main line from moving out of position.

Step 8

This photo shows that the Un-braided tip of the line is longer than the gap on the main line.

Step 9

Take your fly tying scissors and trim the tip of the line so the un-raveled is just shorter than the gap on the main line.

Step 10

Now the fun begins. Take a bobbin loaded with the thread you want to use. I usually use 6/0 Uni-thread. You are going to use your bobbin to wrap this connection to make your loop. First make sure the end of the line and the gap on the line is lined up. Use your fingers to roll the line and tip together to compact the line and tip. Use your left hand to grip the main line and the tip just about in the middle of the unraveled tip. You also need to grip the 6/0 thread with this hand and fingers. So you are holding the thread, the unraveled tip and the main line in between your thumb and fore finger of you left hand. Your thumb nail should be facing you. Now roll up any slack thread with your right hand onto the bobbin. You want the bobbin hanging about 3" below the splice point. Now take you right thumb and fore finger and grasp the other side of the splice with the two thumbs faceing each other.

So you are standing with the splice held in the center with your two thumbs and fore fingers, with the thumbs facing each other and the thumb nails are almost touching. The bobbing is hanging down from the junction of your thumbs with about 3" of thread. OK, here we go. Start to swing the bobbing back and forth until the momentum of the swing lets you swing the bobbin around the splice in a circle. If you have the bobbing adjusted properly, and you won't, line will pull off of the bobbin and you will begin to wrap the splice. Wrap toward the left hand first so you can capture the end of the thread. After several wraps you can cut off the end of the thread just like you were starting the thread on a hook. You may have to adjust the bobbin several times until the thread feeds onto the splice but stays about the same distance from the splice. Using your two thumb nails you can direct where the line wraps onto the splice. Wrap beyond the splice on both ends a very short distance onto the main line and the looped line. With a little practices you can get a really decent wrap.

When you have finished wrapping the splice to your satisfaction you take a 6" piece of thread and fold it in half forming a loop. Lay the loop on the splice and hold in place. Wrap over the thread a few turns and then cut the thread from the bobbin leaving a 2" piece on the splice. Place the end of the thread into the loop and pull the end of the thread under the last few wraps. Trim up the thread end and you are done except for sealing the splice.

A comment about adjusting the bobbin so it will swing around the splice. You can practice this using a nail or some other small diameter item before you start your loop.

Step 11

You need to seal the splice so moisture won't get into the core of the line. I like to use Plio-Bond. It is thin and penetrates the splice forming a good seal but still has some flexibility. You can use Super Glue but it drys hard. I believe Shoe Goop would also work well.

The Finished Loop.

Here is a picture of a finished loop except it needs a coat or two more of Plio-Bond. The loop can be made much smaller. I made it large for the sake of the demonstration.

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 02-11-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Making a loop on your Fly Line.

Nice Frank!

I am going to try to copy and paste this whole thread to my document file so I have it when I need it.

Thank you
Old 12-05-2009, 10:15 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Ive been tying mine the way this guy does
and have not had any issues.

d
Old 12-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: Nice work!

Larry
Old 12-05-2009, 10:47 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Frank,

My apologies, didn't mean to step on this thread or the obvious effort spent to put it together.

Feel free to delete my post above. It is a similar method to what you have so effectively detailed above, and probably not as durable since it does not strip down the line as you do.

Apologies again,

d

Dave
Old 12-05-2009, 11:47 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Good one Frank. Have to put that one to use soon. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

No problem Dave,

The video shows how to whip using the bobbin. That is hard to describe with words. His method is good but I don't like using super glue and the finished whipped area will be bigger around than my method. You can see in the finished picture of my loop the whipped area is just about the size as the line.

Frank
Old 12-06-2009, 07:19 AM

yep, I used head cement (flexament) followed by a coat of aqua seal on mine vice SG, and I just rough up the fly line vice cutting completely through. First time it comes apart, I'll redo it as you described above. This does provide a nice smooth loop that transitions through the eyes well.

d
Old 12-06-2009, 11:27 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I like that loop, Frank, and I'll tell you why. After buying my first welded loop
line, I knew that fun couldn't last. My first homemade loop was very much like
the YouTube video, but with nail polish. RipTide mentioned that nail polish
was too inflexible, and I decided he was right. Winding that much thread onto
the fly fly line, and then coating it in nail polish results in a loop that is hard
to pull through the tip top, and also creates a stress point between the
thread and fly line. Bending the line reveals a hinge that may not effect
casting, but sure does make judging where the next crack is going to occur
quite easy.

After some shopping, I found Loctite's flexible/waterproof adhesive. I doubled
my line over, and wound the thread the full length of this section (leaving space for the loop, of course). I still saw a hinge, however. RipTide did say
that he used 3 whip finishes, so I tried that, and the hinging was almost
completely gone. It was at least as good as the factory loops. I was watching
a show about building bridges, and one of the guests said that engineers like
to build with "just enough" strength.

The loop above has only two whips in it, but has held up to a LOT of abuse,
and hours of fishing. When bent over, the line will bend between the 2 whips,
and eliminate that single hinge point I was getting before. I've cut the line
at an angle, applied the tiniest drop of CA to seal it, and squeezed one coat
of flexible adhesive into the thread. Frank Whiton's looks very unlikely to create any stress points, and I like that as well.

BTW: If you're going to use the fling the bobbin around the line method, don't
even bother until you've created more tension on the spool: you'll get hit in
the face! I wasn't too surprised to see my bobbin fly away like a yo-yo, and
tag my forehead. The whips I applied in the pic above were wound off the bobbin like tying a fly, mostly to keep the wraps to a minimum.

P.S. I hope you don't think I'm trying to compete with your method, Frank. I've been wanting to show my loop
for a while, and your thread prompted me to get a picture on here. Also, some folks might be tempted to try the CA/nail polish with
tons of thread method, and find themselves with a stiff loop. I thought about starting my own thread, but that might have
created some confusion.....

Last edited by FrankB2; 12-06-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Frank,

My apologies, didn't mean to step on this thread or the obvious effort spent to put it together.

Feel free to delete my post above. It is a similar method to what you have so effectively detailed above, and probably not as durable since it does not strip down the line as you do.

Apologies again,

d

Dave

I do mine the same way as the video. I use to finish it off as he is (same as rod wrapping by the way), but now I just use a whip finishing tool. Easy for me.

J