The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 05:48 PM

grgerman is on a distinguished road
Default Which prescription polarized glasses

I want to purchase a new pair of bifocal or progressive prescription polarized fishing glasses. These will be used for creek and small river fishing for trout and steelhead.

There are a few Oakley and Maui Jim dealers in my area. However, they do not know much about fishing specific glasses. They only seem to know about sun glasses. It appears that I know more about lens colors, etc. for fishing than they do.

I view my choices as Oakley, Maui Jim, Orvis or Kaenon. The Orvis and Kaenon would be by mail order. The Orvis would be glass bifocals and the other three would be plasitic progressive.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction, which brand, what style (plastic or glass), what coatings, etc. Cost is not important. High quailty vision is the important factor.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 PM

flatslandercp has a spectacular aura aboutflatslandercp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Which prescription polarized glasses

grg,

I don't wear prescription sunglasses (yet) but have been using Guideline polarized glasses for a couple of seasons now, and like them. I use the bifocal version of the Mantis frame.

They offer a prescription option in 7 models.

http://www.glpolarized.com/Guideline/Prescription

Craig
Old 12-06-2009, 08:21 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by grgerman View Post
There are a few Oakley and Maui Jim dealers in my area. However, they do not know much about fishing specific glasses. They only seem to know about sun glasses. It appears that I know more about lens colors, etc. for fishing than they do.
would ya mind telling me what the colors are good for? cause i always thought polarized was the key to get a pair of glasses... i got some oakleys, and i know you can buy different frames for them.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:01 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I don't have prescription sunglasses, I use the Guideline readers, like them very much...

Dan
Old 12-07-2009, 07:19 AM

grgerman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBob365 View Post
would ya mind telling me what the colors are good for? cause i always thought polarized was the key to get a pair of glasses... i got some oakleys, and i know you can buy different frames for them.
My understanding is that brown/amber/copper is for stream fishing and grey/blue is for open water. However, then there is all the available tints, etc., which is what I don't know about.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi grgerman,

Most good Polarized lens blanks come from two companies in the world. So you will find most named glasses have similar lens. I have wore glasses most of my life and have bought a bunch of sun glasses over the years. Here is what I have learned.

Glass is not a desirable choice for shooting or fishing sun glasses. They can shatter and are heavy. You can get tempered glass but I don't want glass around my eyes in the field.

Plastic is soft and scratch easily. It is not as strong as Polycarbonate so it has to be thicker in strong prescriptions. It is the cheapest material if you are trying to save money.

Polycarbonate is the best from the standpoint of shatter resistance, toughness and they make the lightest lens. Any one who has a strong prescription will prefer polycarbonate due to their lightness and strength.

Here is how I buy Polarized Sunglasses. I look at all the models and select the one that fits me the best. This is not something to do with out trying them on. I go to a Optometrist that specializes in sport glasses and order from them. You need the optometrist to tell you if the glasses you want will accept your prescription and measure your pupil distance. If you have a mild prescription it will fit into any frame. I have a strong prescription and have to be careful with how much curve is in the frame.

One other thing. Don't buy Sun Glasses that at too narrow from top to bottom. A wider lens will give you more protection. A narrow lens is OK when you are looking straight ahead but look down towards the water or our hands and the sun comes over the top.

Frank
Old 12-07-2009, 09:20 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

I've seen numerous threads on other boards about prescription sunglasses. The best according to those responding was overwhelmingly. Smith Optics for service, quality and color choices.
http://www.smithoptics.com/Prescript....html?fl=flase
Old 12-07-2009, 03:29 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

My optometrist is a fly fisher. He has told me the same as in the above posts; polarized w/ brown shades are best.
They have always been able to put my prescription in whatever lens I pick (haven't tried Oakleys with the big wrap around though).
Old 12-07-2009, 04:41 PM

bi visable is on a distinguished road

I own a pair of Rx Oakley Inmate's with brown lens, very nice for fishing and you can see into the water very well. Only thing that I don't like is that after about 2 hours on your head they kind of start to hurt.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:09 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road

I have used SmithOptics for years and am very satisfied. I call them direct with my perscription. I usually have their web site up on my computer so I can look at the model and tints as we talk. If you have questions about fit, you can usually find a store that has non-perscription Smithoptic sunglasses to try on, then order over the phone. Note: only a few models are available for prescription, polarized, bifocal sunglasses. Again, see website.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley