The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2006, 09:53 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default sink tips

was wondering if anyone has ever tried a sink tip? just got my orvis catalog in the mail and saw them here's a link: http://www.orvis.com/store/product_c...&feature_id=17

trying to save up for a new system now so i don't want to put to much money in the set-up i'm using now. the set-up is a cortland combo, with cortland sylk 5wtdt on it.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 PM

Troutlassie124 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: sink tips

I saw those and was also wondering. I decided to purchase a low priced Scientific Angler's sinking line from Walmart instead, and put it on an older fly reel I had. With a sinking leader, I just change reels from my floating set up.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:38 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

unfourtanetly i don't have a spare reel or cartridge. really don't want to spend the money to get one either.(maybe ebay looking at rod now) my 8wt no problem sth always has them on sale. if i find anything out elsewere i'll let you know.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:04 AM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I bought a mini-sink tip kit from Cortland that lets you make your own in whatever length and sink rate you want. I mostly use a ten foot section of type I or II (Slow sink). It works reasonably well; I like using it for bass, with a short (4 foot) leader with a floating bunny-hair streamer. The line puls it down when you strip, then the fly slowly floats towards the surface. I've caught laregmouth and smallmouth with that rig, but no real large fish.

As is posted elsewhere on this forum, there are some disadvantages. Frankly, it doesn't cast very well. It can quickly overload your rod, as the sink tip is heavier than your normal line. Secondly, it makes a strange setup in your taper; leader, then long sink tip of heavy line, then your small front taper on your floating line, then finaly your belly taper. It really wore me out, even with short 30 foot casts towards shore from a boat. Just yesterday I spooled up a Cortland 444SL 10 ft fast sinking tip line on a spare reel. It's weighted properly for the rod, and has the correct taper.

Life's too short to use jerry-rigged lines or drink cheap wine.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 06-13-2006, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Jakeway is right on target. One thing that helps alot when casting added on sink tips and their extra weight is to cast it sort of like a shooting head, since it wants to act like one. Strip in all but about 20-25' of line and use a roll cast to put the sinking section up on top. Make one backcast, allowing the line to shoot backwards to gain some of the distance you need, and then make the forward cast and let the weight of the shooting head carry the cast out to your target.

You will also likely find that you'll need to slow down the casting stroke to keep the sink tip from kicking over so hard that it heads back towards you. It also help to finish your cast high in order to let the line shoot out and to counteract the sink tip's tendency to drop down fast.

Life is also too short to drink cheap beer. This maker of great beer http://www.newbelgium.com/sustainability.php also produces it in a very earth friendly way. If you don't like their main offering, try some of the others. They make something for everybody. The Sunshine Wheat is hard to beat on a hot day.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.