The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM

ssmith will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Need help choosing a new 5wt

I have caught big mouth on a 5wt and they feel huge, couldn't imagine a Pacific salmon from Alaska on one. For Great Lakes steelies, browns, silvers, and kings I use a 7wt and that feels light a lot of the time. You might want to consider stepping up the weight some, but that is how I feel. If your landing salmon on a 5wt then more power to you.

I love my Sage Flight 590, but it's a little out of your range at 330. If your will to bump up a tiny notch take a look. The Winston Passport is a solid choice as well as TFO, Redington and Echo make great rods for roughly 2 or 2 and a half. Also you said you left it by the road, does that mean you lost your reel and line as well or just the tube your rod was in. If so TFO makes combos and can set you up with a reel to match the rod for a good price. Allen also makes a great reel from what I understand. I am checking them out in general as I have never heard a bad thing about and plenty of people give them shout outs on here.

Sage Flight

Winston Passport

Redington RS4

TFO BVK

There are 4 rods that are all not bad choices, but my best recommendation would be to hit a shop if you can an cast them all for a few. Any good shop owner should let you and it's the only way you'll really feel how the rod performs for you as all people are different

Best of luck and sorry for your loss

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-28-2011, 11:17 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Problem solved; get TWO rods on E-bay. Echo 2 8'4wt trout rod for $139, and an Echo Saltwater 7wt bass/salmon rod for $149; both are closeouts and almost half-price. They are brand new rod. I'm still trying to convince myself that I need another 8'4wt.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:03 PM

get_jiggy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am out at sea most of the time so I am a little slow to respond. Fishing on the island is almost exclusively for Pink Salmon, ranging from 2-5 lbs which is why I am considering a lower weight rod. I am starting to look into your suggestions now as we just got back to port. I do know that I would like a new rod so as to have the warranty.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:20 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
Problem solved; get TWO rods on E-bay. Echo 2 8'4wt trout rod for $139, and an Echo Saltwater 7wt bass/salmon rod for $149; both are closeouts and almost half-price. They are brand new rod. I'm still trying to convince myself that I need another 8'4wt.
There's always room for one more rod...