The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Need help choosing a new 5wt (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/119486-need-help-choosing-new-5wt.html)

get_jiggy 03-27-2011 10:36 PM

Need help choosing a new 5wt

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new 5wt. because I left mine on the side of the road like a big dummy.

I work in Alaska so will be using it for some Salmon fishing, nothing too big though I am told that a 5wt. works fine. I also do some river trout fishing and freshwater bass when I am back in the lower 50.

Not looking to spend more than 300, although if the price is right I would maybe consider going up to 400.

Thanks for any suggestions!

caseywise 03-27-2011 10:56 PM

Re: Need help choosing a new 5wt

i have a sweet sage 9' 6 weight that would be sick for what your looking for. PM interested.

mcnerney 03-27-2011 10:58 PM

get_jiggy: I used an 8 wt for fishing Salmon on the Kenai and the streams that crossed the Parks Hwy when I lived in Alaska. I also had a 5 wt but used that for smaller fish like Grayling and some lake Rainbow fishing. I'd really suggest you think hard about using a 5 wt for Salmon fishing. Good luck with the new rod purchase!

Larry

Hardyreels 03-27-2011 11:04 PM

I have caught salmon with a 5 but by accident. I don't use anything lighter than a 7 weight for salmon.

Ard

dave27615 03-27-2011 11:10 PM

Here's a link I came across recently ...

FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StC roixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK

And this is an older review that led me to my Elkhorn Traveler 5wt. I really like it and the price was right.

Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Online April-2008 Gear-Review-13-Budget-and-Backup-Rods - Gear Review: 13 Budget and Backup Rods

Good luck.

vivid2012 03-28-2011 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave27615 (Post 231640)
Here's a link I came across recently ...

FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StC roixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK

And this is an older review that led me to my Elkhorn Traveler 5wt. I really like it and the price was right.

Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Online April-2008 Gear-Review-13-Budget-and-Backup-Rods - Gear Review: 13 Budget and Backup Rods

Good luck.

Looks cool source.

BigCliff 03-28-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by get_jiggy (Post 231611)
will be using it for some Salmon fishing, nothing too big though I am told that a 5wt. works fine.

Did they tell you a .22 is a great moose gun too?

ausablebrown 03-28-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by get_jiggy (Post 231611)
Hey all,

I am in the market for a new 5wt. because I left mine on the side of the road like a big dummy.

I work in Alaska so will be using it for some Salmon fishing, nothing too big though I am told that a 5wt. works fine. I also do some river trout fishing and freshwater bass when I am back in the lower 50.

Not looking to spend more than 300, although if the price is right I would maybe consider going up to 400.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Joking aside, a 3 lb trout in a little creek feels big on a 5 wt...wait till you get a "little salmon" in a big current; you'll snap your 5 wt or run the backing off your reel.

If you are considering spending up to 400, you can get two very nice rods...maybe a 5 and an 8wt. Plenty of quality $200 rods out there.

troutdoorsman 03-28-2011 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCliff (Post 231802)
Did they tell you a .22 is a great moose gun too?

LOL!
Check out Justin's site Allen Fly Fishing. I hear his rods fish well and are a very good price. Nothing less than a 7wt for what your are looking to catch.

mcnerney 03-28-2011 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutdoorsman (Post 231833)
LOL!
Check out Justin's site Allen Fly Fishing. I hear his rods fish well and are a very good price. Nothing less than a 7wt for what your are looking to catch.

Chris: Good suggestion, but Justin pulled his rods from his website until he gets his backlog completed. I think this would be an excellent rod, but I'm not sure what the lead time might be, but it might be worth for get_jiggy to contact Justin and find out the status.

Larry

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

get_jiggy: You might take a look at the fly rods that Trapper is selling, the price certainly is in your range, he has a 7wt and an 8 wt, but both are 2 piece rods.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...reel-sale.html

Larry