The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2011, 10:36 PM

get_jiggy is on a distinguished road
Default Need help choosing a new 5wt

Hey all,

I am in the market for a new 5wt. because I left mine on the side of the road like a big dummy.

I work in Alaska so will be using it for some Salmon fishing, nothing too big though I am told that a 5wt. works fine. I also do some river trout fishing and freshwater bass when I am back in the lower 50.

Not looking to spend more than 300, although if the price is right I would maybe consider going up to 400.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Need help choosing a new 5wt

i have a sweet sage 9' 6 weight that would be sick for what your looking for. PM interested.

ARFE
Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

get_jiggy: I used an 8 wt for fishing Salmon on the Kenai and the streams that crossed the Parks Hwy when I lived in Alaska. I also had a 5 wt but used that for smaller fish like Grayling and some lake Rainbow fishing. I'd really suggest you think hard about using a 5 wt for Salmon fishing. Good luck with the new rod purchase!

Larry

Larry
Old 03-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have caught salmon with a 5 but by accident. I don't use anything lighter than a 7 weight for salmon.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-27-2011, 11:10 PM

dave27615 is on a distinguished road

Here's a link I came across recently ...

FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StC roixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK

And this is an older review that led me to my Elkhorn Traveler 5wt. I really like it and the price was right.

Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Online April-2008 Gear-Review-13-Budget-and-Backup-Rods - Gear Review: 13 Budget and Backup Rods

Good luck.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 AM

vivid2012 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave27615 View Post
Here's a link I came across recently ...

FlyRodReview.Best5weightflyrod.HardyZenith.SageZ-axis.WinstonB3x.WinstonBIIIx.LoomisNRX.SageVXP.StC roixLegendEliteTempleforkBVK

And this is an older review that led me to my Elkhorn Traveler 5wt. I really like it and the price was right.

Fly-Rod-and-Reel-Online April-2008 Gear-Review-13-Budget-and-Backup-Rods - Gear Review: 13 Budget and Backup Rods

Good luck.
Looks cool source.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by get_jiggy View Post
will be using it for some Salmon fishing, nothing too big though I am told that a 5wt. works fine.
Did they tell you a .22 is a great moose gun too?

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by get_jiggy View Post
Hey all,

I am in the market for a new 5wt. because I left mine on the side of the road like a big dummy.

I work in Alaska so will be using it for some Salmon fishing, nothing too big though I am told that a 5wt. works fine. I also do some river trout fishing and freshwater bass when I am back in the lower 50.

Not looking to spend more than 300, although if the price is right I would maybe consider going up to 400.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Joking aside, a 3 lb trout in a little creek feels big on a 5 wt...wait till you get a "little salmon" in a big current; you'll snap your 5 wt or run the backing off your reel.

If you are considering spending up to 400, you can get two very nice rods...maybe a 5 and an 8wt. Plenty of quality $200 rods out there.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Did they tell you a .22 is a great moose gun too?
LOL!
Check out Justin's site Allen Fly Fishing. I hear his rods fish well and are a very good price. Nothing less than a 7wt for what your are looking to catch.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
LOL!
Check out Justin's site Allen Fly Fishing. I hear his rods fish well and are a very good price. Nothing less than a 7wt for what your are looking to catch.
Chris: Good suggestion, but Justin pulled his rods from his website until he gets his backlog completed. I think this would be an excellent rod, but I'm not sure what the lead time might be, but it might be worth for get_jiggy to contact Justin and find out the status.

Larry

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 AM ----------

get_jiggy: You might take a look at the fly rods that Trapper is selling, the price certainly is in your range, he has a 7wt and an 8 wt, but both are 2 piece rods.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...reel-sale.html

Larry

Larry