The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 11:51 AM

gr8johnson is on a distinguished road
Default O.K. I can cast now how do I catch fish.

I went down to Paint Creek in Rochester, Michigan at the municiple park, and threw my line in the creek. I was casting quite well actually. Side arming it under some branches. Front and rear casting. It was pretty tight areas and I Only lost 1 fly in some over hanging trees trying to get too fancy. The flies were hitting the water nice. So it seemed to me any way.

I did not get a bite. I was using an Elk hair Caddis I think it was called. Some one told me they work here. No good. I didnt see anything hitting or any insects on the water to try and copy so I didnt know what to use.

I have no idea how to fish with a nymph so I didnt use one. I use a floating line so how does the fly get down under the water?

Also where on the St. Clair can I fish from shore and get some fish? I was told at Metro Beach there are some spots. I just dont want to get discouraged by not getting any fish.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Chris Hewett will become famous soon enoughChris Hewett will become famous soon enough
Default Re: O.K. I can cast now how do I catch fish.

Ah yes. The great question. The subject of more discussions than almost anything else... except maybe..
"OK, I recognize women now, how do I get them to XXXXXXX with me" (insert whatever activity comes to your mind)

90 percent of the fish reside in 10% of the water. You need to find out where the fish are in any given river. Put your fly near them and you will catch some fish.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

If the creek you were fishing has moving water and you are casting across the current, your fly is likely dragging soon after it hits the water.

Drag= fly moving faster than the water under/surrounding it. (some might say that "faster" should be replaced with "at a different speed" but the fly moving slower than the current is rarely a problem.)

I'm guessing your fly may be dragging because the water you are putting your fly in is likely moving slower than the water in the middle of the creek. This faster water pulls your flyline sideways and this will pull your fly away from where you want it to be, and move it faster than the water it is sitting on. When it is doing this, it is not likely to entice any fish to strike because it is moving in a way that is totally unnatural for any insect. Even the most realistic imitation of a caddisfly on the planet will not catch trout if it is moving wrong.

To check to see if drag is affecting your fly try this. Find a spot where there is something floating downstream- bubbles, leaves, sticks, bugs, whatever. Make a cast to that spot, and see how your fly is moving compared to the free floating object. This is what is called a "drag-free-drift" and is one of the things that succesful dry fly fisherman strive for and have to achieve to be successful. If you can cast across stream and make your fly float downstream just like a natural bug, then you are a frickin prodigy. Casting straight upstream is by far the easiest way to get a good drift, anything other than that requires some planning ahead and trickery.

It sounds to me like you would be most successful fishing wooly buggers or other weighted streamers at that park. There is no need for a drag free drift when fishing streamers, as they are intended to imitate a minnow. (That being said, it seems kinda strange that black, brown and olive are the most productive colors, but that's just how it is.) Wooly bugger will work very well on bass too, so they are a very good thing to have in your box, and on the end of your leader/tippet as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:30 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

The best way to get a kid interested in fishing is to go after fish he or she is sure to catch: Bluegills. I recommend you do the same thing, particularly near Rochester MI. Go to any small lake or pond, or even larger boidies of water, and fish in about 2-6 feet of water near the banks. If you're fishing from shore, just find some place with enough room behind you so you can cast out about 5-10 feet from shore.

Use a nymph like you would for trout, like a Hare's Ear, Prince, or Pheasant Tail. Use a 7.5 to 9 ft leader, with a strike indicator of choice about 4 feet above the fly. You may also use a small popping bug or rubber spider as an indicator, with the nymph on a 3 foot dropper tied to the bend of the popper's hook.

Cast out, let the nymph sink a few seconds, then slowly twitch it back toward you. Watch the line and indicator very carefully, and if it moves even a twitch without your input, set the hook firmly but gently.

This will give you a chance to enjoy your new rod, and get the hang of both casting and watching the line with nymph fishing. Then move on to trout in moving water. You may even find you enjoy the bluegills and occasional bass as much or more than the trout.

I flyfish for bass and bluegills two or three times a week, even if it's only for 30 to 60 mnutes during lunch, early mornings before work, or in the evenings just before dark. I only get out for trout a couple times a summer. But, I have panfish lakes within sight of my house, but a 75 mile drive to the nearest trout stream.

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 06-15-2006, 09:04 PM

LoneFlinger will become famous soon enoughLoneFlinger will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeway
The best way to get a kid interested in fishing is to go after fish he or she is sure to catch: Bluegills.
I wholeheartedly agree. My grandfather, who taught me to flyfish, once told me that a man who hooks half the bluegills that strike the dry fly will never miss a trout.

I'd suggest a farm pond somewhere, ideally where you can screw up and not have someone watching.

lf
Old 06-16-2006, 12:00 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

the idea of using a farm is great. i use my neighbors pond all the time. (usually trying out new flys) bluegills are fun to catch and are plentiful to catch. i even keep a fly rod in my lund boat. (haven't been skunked yet in it by myself) i can always turn to the fly rod to catch something even if its a gill. with a farm pond though never know what you might catch. and trying to cast around all the obstacles that you might have in the way just might help you out later on in or on a stream.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:59 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough

If you have the option of fishing water along side other fly fishermen take time to not only observe how the fish are feeding but watch other experienced anglers. I always enjoy watching some of my senior and much more experienced fishermen. They never seem in a hurry. They slow down. They seem to cast with very little effort and with a grace that I am still trying to learn..Thats the secret for me, the learning curve.. Enjoy the journey for its all about learning to fish on the Fly..
Old 06-18-2006, 08:49 PM

gr8johnson is on a distinguished road

That is one of my problems. I dont know any one who I can fish with. I am going to a casting class tomorrow at the Bass Pro Shop Outdoor World. Maybe I can meet some one that can help me out.
Old 06-20-2006, 08:15 PM

LoneFlinger will become famous soon enoughLoneFlinger will become famous soon enough

What's yer location Johnson? I'll bet someone's close enough to show ya a few ropes.

lf