The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 07:18 PM

papajorgio is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Fishing Salmon, Need advice

Hai guy's and galls! I just wanted to ask a few questions about a rod and reel if anyone had some advice. I am interested in slaying some salmon for my wedding and wanted to get a good start on the season, but I'm unsure on which rod to buy. I'm looking for a lightweight rod and reel, you know, something I can throw in the mud when I tackle all those HUGE FISH amirite? I was looking at a martin 5 weight, but everyone seems to be against me buying this rod. Admittedly i don't know much about rods, but what are some great deals on equipment that I should look into. I have all the gear(boots, jacket, knife) but just am unsure on what kind of rod I need. It's my first time out. Thanks in advance, any input would be GREAT!

Edit: I am 28, and live in oregon. I don't have a "budget" for a rod, so all ideas are welcome!

Last edited by papajorgio; 12-10-2009 at 07:39 PM. Reason: just read sticky.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Fishing Salmon, Need advice

I am assuming that you are referring to Chinook (King) Salmon.

The Martin 5 weight rig won't be able to handle a salmon. It is designed to for average size trout. That's like trying to drop an elephant with a .22 caliber varmint round. In terms of the line weight ratings, you should be looking at an 8 or a 9 weight. You will need a reel with a quality drag that is smooth and has plenty of stopping power.

In terms of a budget, you can spend as little as $150 for an prepackaged outfit and over $1000 for a premium outfit. There will be some quality differences along the price points. There will be some gems that you can find if you look hard enough.

Where to shop?
If you have a local outfitter (and I don't mean Walmart), tell the salesguy what you are looking for. Be honest with him. He'll be honest with you. Also ask about fly fishing lesson. Your post reads like you are a newbie.

If that route doesn't work, contact the website sponsor, www.reelflyrod.com. That webpage has the contact information. Go through the website to see what you may be getting yourself into.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

MP
Old 12-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Make life easy, walk into your nearest fly fishing store (pick one with Orvis, Sage, & Loomis signs in the windows) and tell them what you want to do. If money is not an issue ask about some instruction and they will love you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-11-2009, 07:57 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Better not count on getting enough salmon for your wedding...

Dan